BYC Member Interview - Hybridchucks **UPDATE 05-26-24 page 4**

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Ya'el, known to BYC members as Hybridchucks, has been a member of our community since July, 2016. Another of our wonderful all rounders, she is known for her friendliness and good advice.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

My name is Ya'el. (Or Tov as I am mostly known as) :p
Me and my Family own an Allotment (for those who don't know, this is a letted garden) in which we keep Chickens, Quail, Ducks and the odd rescue Animal. We grow fruits and vegetables such as Carrots, Potatoes, Zucchini/Courgette, Corn, Tomatoes, Artichokes, Cabbages, Blackberries, Herbs, Raspberries, Strawberries, Pears, Apples and many more.

It's very therapeutic for the family to go and work there, we love it very much.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

Why? Because why not!? They lay eggs, can be great little pets, and are sweet to have around. Plus, some are great meat birds, if that is what you're after. But my family have them for the eggs alone. Keeping Chickens has got to be one of the best choices we have made. We have a constant supply of fresh eggs daily, and often give lots to friends and family!

We started keeping 3 chickens in 2013, Queeny Speckled and Little Red. And have had chickens ever since.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

We enjoy cuddling them, feeding them, cleaning them out and collecting the eggs. We have our struggles with illnesses but its very rewarding to see happy hens.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

I love them all equally but there is one hen who we have had for almost 6 years! She's doing amazing.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Nothing comes to mind :th

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

2 Budgies, 1 (currently) Pigeon, 8 Quail, 2 ducks, 1 drake, and often a rescue bird.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

All my animal's names. You may wish to skip this :lol: You'll be here awhile.
3 Buff Orpingtons (favourite breed ever) Casper (cockerel), Agnes (pullet) and Mabel (pullet).
9 Hybrid Hens, Queeny (almost 6 years old), Scarlet, Polly, Charlotte, Elsa, Anna, Ronda, Rowen and Alexa.
2 Ducks, Caramel and Claudia. 1 Drake, Pippin (Call Duck).
2 Budgies, Cielo (her name means "sky blue" in Italian.) and Verde (his name means "green" in Italian)
8 Quail, Duke and Lizzy (who raised 6 chicks naturally!), Bree, Remmi, Candy/Sandy, Hazel/Basil, Primrose and Prince.
1 Pigeon, Juniper (female). (There was a male but he flew away :( Will be finding her a new mate soonish.)

I have a habit of somehow finding every creature that is injured or in need of help. It keeps me very busy. From snooty hedgehogs to the tiniest birds. I always put all my energy into keeping them alive, but most do not make it sadly. Jackson and Juniper (my pigeon/s) were rescued by me, both had broken both of their wings somehow, they mended and the male (Jackson) could even fly again! (alas, therefore flew away and left Juniper, who cannot fly very well.)

Its very upsetting when my rescues don't make it, but I love looking after them and giving them the best (even if a short) life.

IMG_5238.jpg

Pippin! ^

IMG_7655.jpg

Casper, Agnes and Mabel ^

IMG_7567.jpg

Casper! ^

IMG_7829.jpg

The quail in their aviary, having a nice dust bath :love^

IMG_6932.jpg

Prince and Primrose, the quail, when they were babies. :love:love

IMG_7687.jpg

My silly but cute little brother ^ <3

IMG_7110.jpg

And one of my little rescues :love

I would like to thank everyone who helps in making BYC a great place. So a big thank you to all the mods and members who are helpful and kind! :hugs :hugs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/hybridchucks.436506/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

Send me some blackberries :D

Nice Interview!

It is nice to know you more
Thank you very much!
What a great group of birds!
Burdland for sure!.....in the UK?

Curious, how far from your home is the allotment?
...and how big is the piece of land?
Must be a challenge to have to travel to tend to flocks.
Thank you! Burdland 4 life.. Yep, in the UK. Its about a quarter of a mile, and about a 100 meters by 60 meters, its a double allotment. :)

Yooo, Tov, 'grats on getting this far. :lol:
Fantastic interview, girl. :D :clap
Thanks Ash!

That's pretty huge!
...and not too far away, tho I can't imagine it not having my critters right out back here,
it must be 'same old, same old' to y'all.
Pretty big!! (all the more room for more animals! :rolleyes: :D :lol: My mum surprised me with offering to get me a pair of Diamond doves :celebrate:love Not too far but sometimes it feels like it :th:lol:
Edit: Also, we're moving house at some point, when we get the keys and redo the whole thing, and its like less than a minute away if you run!! :celebrateIll be able to be with my little guys much more often!

Great interview! Your assortment of critters are adorable
Dankje! :bow:hugs I love them

Back
Top Bottom