BYC Member Interview - LadiesAndJane

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
@LadiesAndJane

Come say hello to LadiesAndJane! She's been a member since May 2014 and comes to us from Hawaii.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?

I am a medical professional, mom to a teenager and have always loved animals as far back as I can remember. I wanted to be a vet when I was a kid, but developed too many allergies.
My user name came about when I had a rooster named Jane (like many others have experienced, "he" was suppose to be a "she"). I would greet the chickens every day with "Good morning Ladies, oh and you too, Jane," which soon became "Good Morning, Ladies and Jane."

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?
We had chickens when I was a kid, though none had names and I was not really interested in them then, I was more a mammal girl back then.
My true appreciation for the birds came about as an adult, after my daughter's kindergarten class hatched chicks as part of a school project. She was enthralled by them. We thought it would be a good learning opportunity for her to raise the birds from chicks all the way to laying age. The class room chicks were all spoken for, so we bought 6 layer chicks from the local feed store. It was quite the experience, the feed store only received chicks for about 6 weeks out of the year, we had to get up early to stand in line outside the feed store on the day the chicks were available in order to get the breeds we wanted.
We didn't know back then you could order them yourself from the hatchery.
1662112853019.png

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
I really enjoy just hanging out with them and watching "Chicken TV". Their social dynamics are so fascinating. I could literally watch them for hours. My job can be very stressful and I find caring for and interacting with the chickens therapeutic.

I also enjoy breeding and raising Silkies and I am always trying to learn more about genetics. I am definitely addicted to incubating and hatching chicks!
To see how happy folks are for the chicks I sell them brings me joy and also some income, which helps the birds pay their way a bit. My daughter always gets half the money for her contributions to the chicken efforts.
1662112977890.png

1662113032383.png

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
All of my birds are pets, though only a few consider themselves to be. My leghorn cross, Frankie, really stands out. I hatched her from a grocery store egg on a whim a few years ago. She has a cat-like personality. She loves to get up in my lap for some pats, but then will leave again. She will peck me quite hard if I do not pet her the way she wants!
My bantam cochin, Hanabi, has a similar personality, minus the pecking.
Lilikoi, one of my Silkies, is really sweet. She likes to be held and will follow me around like a dog. She is always right at my feet and I have to be careful where I am stepping. Most of the birds obviously recognize me when they see me, but honestly do not care one way or another if they get any special attention, as long as they have food, water and of course occasional treats!

FRANKIE
1662113151479.png

HANABI
1662113217205.png

LILIKOI
1662113322514.png

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
I can't think of any particular event, but they do make me laugh almost daily!

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
We have two small dogs in addition to the chickens. They are mostly indoor dogs and do not interact with the birds. I try to keep my flock under 20, I currently have 15.
I would love to get some Call ducks and some goats, but do not currently have time or space for them. One day!
1662113414910.png

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I really love keeping chickens and I am sure I will always have them. I love being part of the BYC community. I have found so many wonderful "chicken" friends here. Always great to communicate with like minded individuals who "get" me! ❤️

@LadiesAndJane

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews.905602

Back
Top Bottom