BYC Member Interview - Ribh

Some of those Irish names are surely impossible to guess the proper pronunciation for us non Irish people.

For instance, there was a girl working at my favorite family owned market. Her name was Siobhan. Care to guess how that is pronounced? If you said ShiVon you get a gold star.

How about Saoirse? Yep SurShuh is correct ;) She is a checker I saw but once at Hannaford. I asked how it was pronounced, she told me and thanked me for asking.

Some of those Irish names are surely impossible to guess the proper pronunciation for us non Irish people.

For instance, there was a girl working at my favorite family owned market. Her name was Siobhan. Care to guess how that is pronounced? If you said ShiVon you get a gold star.

How about Saoirse? Yep SurShuh is correct ;) She is a checker I saw but once at Hannaford. I asked how it was pronounced, she told me and thanked me for asking.
They're very pretty names, never would have guessed how to pronounce them.

Ah well, my area of history is pre~Roman Britain so weird names are par for the course. :lau Plus I've known quite a few Siobhans ~ with various spellings.

Back
Top Bottom