BYC Member Interview - rIrs roost

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Billy, known to BYC members as rIrs roost, has been a member of our community since August 2015. Another of our wonderful all rounders, he is known for his friendliness and good advice.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

My real name is Billy but I'm known as Red at grannys house. The thread, Grannys gone and done it, was started a few years before my time. Just the name caught my eye so I started reading it on page 1. Well she and the rest of my friends now were so funny that I had to read the entire thread. By the time that I got done reading, I had so much in common with them that I just had to say hello. And I'm so glad that I did. We all are a big family now and they're stuck with me whether they like it or not lol. We've all gotten so close. My new wife and I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of our friends, chickenLady2014 and her husband Rod last year. They were two of the nicest people that we have ever met. We're trying to plan a trip to pick up granny on our way to their house somewhere down the road. You know that we have to met the woman that brought us all together. Whoops, sorry. I got sidetracked running my mouth lol. Oh and that's another thing. All of us like to run our mouth so much that granny had to start another thread called, grannys gone and done it again.

Ok, a little about me. I'm disabled now. But the last 16 years of my life I managed a cabinet shop and was the cnc tech. I live in a small town in North Carolina called Rockingham. The only thing it's know for is having a great highschool football team every year that's tied for the most championships in the state. Seven and counting. We also use to have NASCAR. Known as The Rock. And lastly we're the home of country music star Bucky Covington.

I recently got married to my wife Audrea aka pearlharbor, April 15th of this year. Between us we have 3 kids. Two boys ages 12 and 21 and one girl 14, going on 40 lol. As a family we like to hunt, fish, collect as many chickens as possible :oops: and anything outdoors. Of course when I'm able to hunt and fish.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

I've been hoardinggg, I mean keeping chickens for three years now. It was all about a few eggs for breakfast to start with. If anyone is reading this and only want a few eggs here and there, I'd suggest buying them from a backyard farmer. If you don't you'll end up with 30 to 40 chickens that become part of the family that you'll more then likely keep around even if they're not laying the eggs that you started out wanting. Yes we have a few that's past their prime that we have to keep around because they sit in our lap.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

I love it all. But if I had to pick one it would probably be watching a mama hen taking care of her chicks. That'll bring a smile to anyones face.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

One of my first hens was Henrietta. A production red. She's the reason that I fell in love with chickens. One day while I let them out to free range I decided to lay down on the grass. As soon as I did she come running up and snuggled up right against my chest lol. I still have her. I also had a bantam Brahma that was my sweetest hen. She'd follow me around and wait for me to sit down so she could sit in my lap. Unfortunately we lost her a month or so ago to old age. Her name was Chloe.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Oh there has been a lot. The most recent was my wife was diving out of the driveway headed to work when she seen one of our hens running by with a bag around her foot. When I come out she had caught the hen and the hen looked straight at me and started screaming what sounded just like the word helpppp helpppp. She screamed that until I saved her from the monstrous evil bag.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

Besides the 20+ chickens we have 2 big mutts outside, 2 little spoiled mutts inside and a fish. Our cat died a few weeks ago.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

I first came to BYC because of a sick hen. Twocrows, casportpony (Kathy) and others were so helpful to me and my sick hen. Without all of the great friends and family here I would have no idea what I was doing lol. I also have made friends on Sally's incubation thread. There's so much knowledge and people willing to share it with you. Im so thankful that I've found this site. I've learned a lot from this site. I still don't know a whole lot, but granny and the rest let me stay because I make them laugh. Lol I love BYC and all my friends and family at granny's and Sally's. I'd love to name them all but I'm afraid I'd accidentally leave some out. Love all of y'all.

IMG_1703.jpg
IMG_3250.jpg
IMG_3275.jpg
1021151623a-1.jpg
1021151800.jpg
1220151413a-1.jpg
0515152119a.jpg
0828161901.jpg
0829151900d.jpg
0920151748-1.jpg
0121161347.jpg
0127161232a.jpg
0318161835.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/rirs-roost.374912/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom