BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hi, I have a gorgeous, nice Speckled Sussex cockerel. About 4.5 months old. Not aggressive, pretty good with the hens. He is just too loud for my neighborhood. I'm sad to part with him, but need to keep the peace among the humans! Henry.jpg

@keesmom has them, I believe. But Idk if they're in MA

Ah yeah, that's who I was thinking of I think, thanks. I was jw because I've been looking into them. Along with many other breeds lol I thought for sure my next dog was gonna be an Aussie or Golden, thought about it for months, till I was reminded of keeshond last night and looked into them (heard of them but never knew anything) and they seem like great dogs. Lots of the Northern Spitz type dogs do but Keeshonds seem especially great.

Ah yeah, that's who I was thinking of I think, thanks. I was jw because I've been looking into them. Along with many other breeds lol I thought for sure my next dog was gonna be an Aussie or Golden, thought about it for months, till I was reminded of keeshond last night and looked into them (heard of them but never knew anything) and they seem like great dogs. Lots of the Northern Spitz type dogs do but Keeshonds seem especially great.

I knew somebody once who had some, when I lived at Hanscom. They seemed friendly enough, but I don't know that I could handle all the fur. LOL That's just me though.

I knew somebody once who had some, when I lived at Hanscom. They seemed friendly enough, but I don't know that I could handle all the fur. LOL That's just me though.

Yeah, it's definitely a lot of fur! Lol although supposedly it's not as hard to take care of as it looks, weekly brushing. Idk that I believe that lol and even if it was true, they probably shed a lot ha

Lapphunds seem cool too but they're even more rare. Or elkhounds. Idk lol

Someone on here has a Keeshond right?
I had a Keeshond for 14 years. He was a great dog. I will definitely get another someday. Now just isn't the right time.

They do need to be brushed regularly, manage to pick up ticks easily, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cold, can suffer from selective hearing, and definitely can be barky. Just like most Kees mine was a great watch dog. As long as we were home we never lost a single chicken to a land predator, day or night. When we were having issues with a raccoon at night he would sound the alarm whenever he smelled one nearby, and on one occasion when one did get in the coop he prevented any losses. He and our old flock rooster worked as a team too.

His presence did seem to deter some predators. Within a month of his passing we lost our entire free range flock of 16.

Hello again, its been a while! I'm moving from Essex County to Billerica, MA and of course I'm bringing my five hens. Is anyone here from Billerica? How has your experience keeping chickens there been?

I had a Keeshond for 14 years. He was a great dog. I will definitely get another someday. Now just isn't the right time.

They do need to be brushed regularly, manage to pick up ticks easily, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cold, can suffer from selective hearing, and definitely can be barky. Just like most Kees mine was a great watch dog. As long as we were home we never lost a single chicken to a land predator, day or night. When we were having issues with a raccoon at night he would sound the alarm whenever he smelled one nearby, and on one occasion when one did get in the coop he prevented any losses. He and our old flock rooster worked as a team too.

His presence did seem to deter some predators. Within a month of his passing we lost our entire free range flock of 16.

Sorry I never replied but thanks for all the info!!

Back
Top Bottom