BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
We just had lots of thunderboomers, heavy rain and even some jellybean sized hail. Going out now to check for damage to the tomatoes.

frow.gif
How is everyone?? Hope that storm doesn't hit us, but it looks like it will.
Mitch

All is good here! My chickens just seem to keep multiplying...man are they addicting ;-). I am actually looking forward to a good storm:D.

The clouds are going the wrong direction!
I could faintly smell the ocean this morning; call me superstitious, but that usually means we're getting hit.
(I'm in Central MA, BTW, 50+/- miles inland)

Last edited:
What (If anything) are people doing to prepare for this storm? This is my first real storm having the chicks- Anything special I should do?

Is your coop off the ground? If not, make sure its not in an area that could flood. Also, check to make sure that doors & windows in the coop are securely fastened or latched.
Where do you keep your feed? Will it be in an area that will stay dry? I keep mine in a rubbermaid tub, but I'll probably put a bungee on the lid, even tho its inside the barn.
My first coop had a lift top roof, which lifted off completely during a storm. Thankfully I was there as it happened, and what a time I had nailing the thing down in the dark & stormy night.
smile.png
chickens were safe tho!

I'm planning to bring mine inside if need be.

We'll see how the coop weathers its first big storm! (luckily the vents close, so that (and the roof etc) should keep most of the water out).

Yes, it's about 3 feet off the ground so flooding won't be a problem. I will need to move my food though. Mine is in a rubbermaid containter too but it's out in the open. I told my husband that I was moving them inside for the storm...Didn't go over so well ;-)

Back
Top Bottom