BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
Quote:
I have a question for all you MA chicken lovers out there. I'm looking into buying chicks from PurelyPoultry.com and was wondering if anyone has done so? They are in Wisconsin so I'm worried about shipping live chicks to MA in February and even though they ask what sex you want, besides sex-links and a few other breeds, how can they ASSURE you that you're getting a hen?
Has anyone used them and what do you think? Their prices seem to be good (as long as it's not a 50/50 chance they'll be roos) and I REALLy don't want to get into eggs.
Anyone?
The birds that are not easily told gender at hatch (ie: Not a barred rock, sex-link etc.) they do what is called vent sexing. This method is used by most hatcheries and even though it is pretty accurate there still is a small percentage that you could get the oppisite gender in which you ordered. If they are labeled "Straight Run" then those chicks are not sexed and more then likely you will end up with a rooster. But if you order "Pullets" you have a good chance of getting all girls.

Hi
Not sure where you're located, but Phil Bolak is really great with issues like that. He's in the Sterling (central MA) area.

wee.gif
Thank you so much! I am going to look into him.
Take Care Now,
Sunny & the 5 egg layers

I have a question for all you MA chicken lovers out there. I'm looking into buying chicks from PurelyPoultry.com and was wondering if anyone has done so? They are in Wisconsin so I'm worried about shipping live chicks to MA in February and even though they ask what sex you want, besides sex-links and a few other breeds, how can they ASSURE you that you're getting a hen?
Has anyone used them and what do you think? Their prices seem to be good (as long as it's not a 50/50 chance they'll be roos) and I REALLy don't want to get into eggs.
Anyone?

THe people who work at the hatcheries sexing the chicks are well trained in vent sexing; most of the hatcheries give an estimate on their rate of about 90% accuracy. Realize that this is average. THey have a lot of birds to check and the internal apparatus is not always easy to distinguish.

I bought 25 chicks from MM last year for example. 2 were boys. Both were black sexlinks, so I think the sorters were not careful about looking for the white spot on the head.

Straight run means no sorting at all for pullets or cockerels. It's as they hatch. Again, average is 55-60% boys, but this can vary.

I ordered my chicks in Feb last year. THe main facility in Worc held the chicks for pick up there, on a SUnday, or would send them on to local PO the next day. CHeck with your local PO, they can tell you how it is usually handled in your area. THe PO is very experienced with handling chicks.

Anyone?

Trevi,
Having worked for the post office, I would not get chicks or eggs in feb. It is just to plain cold!
the eggs or chicks would br shipped via plane and the planes are cold. I would wait until the end of March or April. Furthermore, if there was snow storm, the flight would be delayed. I think the PO does a great job in handling chicks and would agree that calling your local PO and ask there advice. I had let my local PO know my eggs were coming in and they called me when they got them. My PO is small, but bigger ones can also be accommodating! Good luck and I hope you get healthy happy chicks!

The large poultry producers are very good at sexing chicks!

Ginny

Does anybody have any hatching eggs for sale? I am looking for some fertile hatching eggs. I do not care much about breed, I just want to try out my incubator. Feel free to PM me if you do.
Thanks in advance.
smile.png

Does anybody have any hatching eggs for sale? I am looking for some fertile hatching eggs. I do not care much about breed, I just want to try out my incubator. Feel free to PM me if you do.
Thanks in advance.
smile.png
Hi!

I have egg laying breeds that are fertilized by a mob of eager roosters. My girls free range and are just coming back into lay. I'm near Milford, MA. Breeding pens will be set up in a couple months for specific breeds; right now every one runs together: marans, EE, Black sexlinks, Buff orpingtons and more. You are welcome to send a PM.

Back
Top Bottom