BYC members in Massachusetts?

Pics
The best thing to do is to find your town bylaws and see what they have to say (if anything) about poultry. You may also have to look at your zoning. I'm in Holliston, and where I'm at, the area is zoned 'Agricultural/Residential', which allows farm animals, but other areas in town are different.

Good luck!

They just replied!!!

Agriculture, including chickens, are allowed in all residential zoning districts, with the provision that if the lot is less than 5 acres in size, the following applies:

a) the sale of products or plants is confined primarily to those raised on the premises;
b) the use is not noxious, injurious or offensive to the neighborhood, and
c) farm animals are kept in an enclosure or building 50 feet or more from any street line and 30 feet or more from any side lot line.

a) and c) I know already apply to my house, so I just need to ask the neighbors!!!

Hello everyone....I am new to this site, but have been using it for a few weeks mainly for coop design. We live in western mass (tiny town called Worthington ) and are getting 5 pullets in a couple of weeks. I cannot wait.....lately all I talk about relates to chickens! My husband would really like silver laced Wyandottes - but maybe next year!

Hello everyone....I am new to this site, but have been using it for a few weeks mainly for coop design. We live in western mass (tiny town called Worthington ) and are getting 5 pullets in a couple of weeks. I cannot wait.....lately all I talk about relates to chickens! My husband would really like silver laced Wyandottes - but maybe next year!
Hey sws, There is also a western mass thread you might want to check out. I grew up in Berkshire county and still work there. Welcome to BYC!

Hi, I am in Billerica, Mass. We just got our first hens last month when they were about 8 weeks old, now they are 12 weeks. Originally we wanted Silkies, preferably sexed since we cannot have roosters in our town, and Americaunas but could not find them around here. We ended up with a Delaware, a Buff Orpington and a Black Star. I think they are good breeds and I am enjoying getting to know their personalities and gaining their trust. I would still love to get Silkies in the future so I am planning on setting up another coop/run for them. It's hard to find someone reputable that has them around 6-8 weeks or older but maybe in a year or two I will have better luck. I guess I will just have to take my chances and hope I do not end up with a rooster!

Hi, I am in Billerica, Mass. We just got our first hens last month when they were about 8 weeks old, now they are 12 weeks. Originally we wanted Silkies, preferably sexed since we cannot have roosters in our town, and Americaunas but could not find them around here. We ended up with a Delaware, a Buff Orpington and a Black Star. I think they are good breeds and I am enjoying getting to know their personalities and gaining their trust. I would still love to get Silkies in the future so I am planning on setting up another coop/run for them. It's hard to find someone reputable that has them around 6-8 weeks or older but maybe in a year or two I will have better luck. I guess I will just have to take my chances and hope I do not end up with a rooster!
We are in Billerica also! Welcome, we're new to chicks ourselves and our enjoying are chicks very much.

Scrambled chick,
I just started my silkie flock (purchased eggs from high quality breeders from BYC) and will be selling any chicks that I will not be using for breeding. I am not an expert but sexing them is difficult until they lay eggs or crow which is usually 4 months or older sometimes. I live in SE Mass but travel to NH/ME area frequently. Let me know if I can help!
Heidi

Silkies are a pain to sex. I had a buff a couple years ago I thought was a pullet until he crowed at 7 months old. Silkies don't lay well. Both of mine are broody again.

You may just have to get 5 or 6 silkie chicks and hope for a few pullets. Dodge Grain in Salem NH actually had some decent looking blues a while back. Not sure where they got them but they were better than average.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom