BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hi I have 2 young roosters that needs a homes 2 are splash silkies 5 months old but one has a funny beak he eat just fine other is a bantam easter egger I think not to sure 3 months old I got pics you would like to see them. I had them on Crag list if you or anyone you know or a place I can take them PLEASE PM ME my landlord came to my place because of the lady across street me has complain plus she stands in her driveway with her little loud dog and stares at my coop it's getting uncomfortable for me the landlord really doesn't care he just said try to keep them quiet
IRonic isn't it-- the dogs can bark but the rooster can't crow!!

I see farming changing. There is a movement taking place where more and more people are getting into backyard flocks and small scale farms for the first time. Many without any experience whatsoever. We can only hope that this will continue to expand and maybe one day put pressure on Big Agriculture to change some (all?) of their practices...

The key to expanding small-scale farming is for us to continue to develop a warm, welcoming, inclusive environment for first-timers to feel comfortable asking all the silly questions that we asked when we were starting out (i.e. I still misspell Ameraucana from time to time
he.gif
) That is one of the reasons this website is so important. It compiles information with answers to all kinds of chicken questions, and it fosters a community of like-minded people who share a common interest in chickens. This interest is contagious and the more people see it, the more they want to be a part of it.

It is important that this carries over to the shows as well. The first show I ever went to was in Orlando, FL. My family was just getting into owning chickens and we were super excited to see the exhibits and "talk chicken". Unfortunately, when we got there, nobody seemed to share our excitement. It was as if none of the exhibitors were enjoying themselves and we were bothering them - no eye contact, one word replies to our questions - just disappointing. The shows in New England seem to be more friendly, but there are still "those" exhibitors...
barnie.gif
. I know it can't be easy answering the same questions over and over, but remember that you are doing more than answering questions, you are representing the industry and in some small way impacting your own livelihood.

Ten years ago I didn't even know there were chicken shows. This year I hope to go to as many as possible.

Enough rambling for one night
old.gif
(BTW I love these emojis)

See you at the shows!
Alexander
TCF
Love your thinking!!

I envision every school child having the opportunity to see chicks hatch-- my son's class is doing ducks!! Whoot. OF course this is all old hat for him-- he can probably teach the teachr . . .but I digress . . .thru our own communities we can bring back gardening and small animal farming . . .

find out the rules in oyour town and if it doesn't favor farming , try to change the laws.

Very new member here from Western Mass. Still figuring out this site as well as my flock of 13 babies! I believe they are 5 weeks old now and I am stressing about a coop! I have some pics posted that show some of the various options for locations so if anyone out there is willing to take a peek and let me know your thoughts I would be very grateful!

Hope to connect with more of you Mass chicken peeps
lau.gif
(sorry, bad pun but I use the word "peeps" all the time!!)

Thanks in advance!

Hello Warren/Palmer - I'm in Brimfield. Just got my first chicks this week. Are you new to chicken keeping, too?

Very new member here from Western Mass. Still figuring out this site as well as my flock of 13 babies! I believe they are 5 weeks old now and I am stressing about a coop! I have some pics posted that show some of the various options for locations so if anyone out there is willing to take a peek and let me know your thoughts I would be very grateful!

Hope to connect with more of you Mass chicken peeps  :lau       (sorry, bad pun but I use the word "peeps" all the time!!)

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the new peeps and welome to BYC!
I am using my phone on the road right now (don't worry my wife is driving) so I haven't seen the pictures but I thought I would chime in on coop design. It is smart that you are giving this a lot of thought.
I recommend:
South facing wall with windows (free heat in the winter)
Use sand in the runs if they are not free ranging
Doors that can be opened/closed without having to enter the coop (in case you are wearing nice shoes). A pulley system is easiest to set up, just make sure that the door is heavy enough that rodents can't get in.
A large door to make it easier for cleaning, I have an entire wall that opens and makes it real easy to clean
The best fencing for a run is the 6x6 dog kennel panels that you can often find on Craigslist. They are cheap and easy to install and move.
Put the nesting boxes so you can access them from outside the run. Again, if you are wearing nice shoes or in a hurry, you can collect eggs without entering the run, make the nesting boxes at least 12x12in.
Hope some of this helps!
Alexander Magnuson
TCF

Thanks for the tips!
I just posted a VERY LONG description of my yard and area I am working with to get opinions on where to build given what I have to start with.
Since you are on the "RHODE" ha ha ha, now may not be the time, but if you find yourself with some free time, perhaps you can give it a glance (pics included) and see what your thoughts are?

I definitely want to make the best of this since I am not terribly skilled and definitely not rich!

Enjoy your trip!
~ The Chick-O-Pee Chicks

I am here in Carver, Ma. Just started our flock in early April. We have 6 Golden Comets, and three Blue Andalusians. They are about 6 weeks and just spent their first weekend in the coop that my amazing hubby built. We do have to get rid of one of the Blue's as she turned out to be a he and although we do have a nice yard we have neighbors on all sides that I am sure would not approve of the rooster... So if you know anyone looking for a handsome rooster send them my way!!

Back
Top Bottom