BYC members in Massachusetts?

One of our girls (floppy), has this coloration towards the back of her comb. I posted a thread in the emergencies just to see if it was, turns out it is:(. This weekend I will be adding a vent towards the top of the coop, on the opposite side of where they roost. I also was reading that their feces causes moisture build up so I removed all of it near the roost. I plan on building a drop box that way it will be easy to discard their waste and the moisture won't build up during the day. Since the snow only on very cold days I have been putting a little pan of water in their coop, ended up taking that out today and plan on leaving the waterer outside from now on. Hopefully she will heal quick and it won't be painful!

Last edited:
One of our girls (floppy), has this coloration towards the back of her comb. I posted a thread in the emergencies just to see if it was, turns out it is:(. This weekend I will be adding a vent towards the top of the coop, on the opposite side of where they roost. I also was reading that their feces causes moisture build up so I removed all of it near the roost. I plan on building a drop box that way it will be easy to discard their waste and the moisture won't build up during the day. Since the snow only on very cold days I have been putting a little pan of water in their coop, ended up taking that out today and plan on leaving the waterer outside from now on. Hopefully she will heal quick and it won't be painful!
I hope it's better soon.

Hi Kelsey I have 4 Brahmas and they have also found dry soil under evergreen shrubs for their dirt baths.
Unfortunately  they have completely  stopped laying eggs for a week now. Just wondering how our fellow Mass.
members are doing with eggs.
Happy New Year
Powerhour

Our 6 hens are laying almost daily. We have a heated water thingy & a heat lamp for when it's super cold. So far so good. They all tend to stay in the coop when the weather is icky.

My 4 girls have turned the spigot back on and I have 10 eggs since this weekend. It's funny how they stopped so completely for almost 3 weeks and just start up out of the blue. Good thing because I was about to explain to them what chicken soup was. I will put that discussion on hold.
Lets hope the pending northeaster stays all rain.

A couple of mine have just started laying again too, so now we get 2-3 eggs a day... from 16 chickens
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom