BYC members in Massachusetts?

I had a question. I was researching options for bedding for my chickens and i wanted to get opinion on what people use. I want a good option for the ladies that won't stink and good option for summer and winter.

I had a question. I was researching options for bedding for my chickens and i wanted to get opinion on what people use. I want a good option for the ladies that won't stink and good option for summer and winter.

I use pine shavings or hay... I do not recommend hay, it gets super compacted and almost impossible to clean out. Pine shavings are OK, but get stinky. Soon I will be trying the "deep litter method" to see how that works. So I don't really have any advise except don't use hay
tongue.png

Oh, and here's a link to a thread on the deep litter method
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method

Last edited:
I was thinking about the deep litter method but it is great to know. I heard hay didn't absorb much. I was think maybe sand or shaving. I'm not sure where to get sand but pine shaving I can find about anywhere.

Hello everyone! I'm another brand new chicken owner in Mass up near Essex. I'm getting my first chicks in a month, they're sexed females but I understand that there's still a 10% chance of getting a rooster. Has anyone here in Mass had any experience rehoming surprise roosters? I'm hoping I'll get lucky with all hens, but I want to start thinking about a backup plan if it doesn't work out that way. Nice to hear from other chicken owners in Massachusetts!

Hello everyone! I'm another brand new chicken owner in Mass up near Essex. I'm getting my first chicks in a month, they're sexed females but I understand that there's still a 10% chance of getting a rooster. Has anyone here in Mass had any experience rehoming surprise roosters? I'm hoping I'll get lucky with all hens, but I want to start thinking about a backup plan if it doesn't work out that way. Nice to hear from other chicken owners in Massachusetts!
Hi and welcome. The place I got my chicks will take back any suppose roosters but I have heard of success with Craigslist. Maybe a local farm

Welcome to the Massachusetts Chicken Group. When I got 12 chicks that were supposed to be pullets in the fall 3 of them were roosters! I really liked the roosters but couldn't keep them. I brought them back to where I bought them. The store was happy to take them back.

There is a guy in Westford who takes any and all birds, male and female, from tiny cage birds all the way up to emus.

Back
Top Bottom