BYC members in Massachusetts?

I live in Brockton too. Just got some chicks from tractor supply in Raynham. They were healthy. I have a few roosters. Do you know anyone who wants two? Half Rhode Island Red half New Hampshire red. They are 3weeks old
Bridge water farm supply is another place to get chicks and feed supplies. They have wire for runs straw and pine shavings too.

I did the same but won't go back to tsc to get more chicks. I ended up with 3roosters and 3hens.

Hey Everyone I am new to BackYard Chickens Forum and actual backyard raising etc.  I am located in Brockton, MA and I am looking for a good place to purchase hens ( chicks, maybe a few days old) and also breeds that due well in our climate and are family friendly and good egg layers.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction that would be awesome I have a few breeds in mind already as well from reading around.

I am pretty excited for this adventure and I know this will be a great place to get more information.

I have chicks available from the more rarer breeds right now:
Mottled Orpington (3) - $15 each
White American Bresse (3) - SOLD
Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiner (3) - $20 each
Altsteirer (2) - $30 for pair (feathering looks like 1 pullet and 1 cockerel)
Also available: Malines and Barbezieux
Coming soon: Splash Orpington and various Bantam Cochin varieties

I am MA NPIP. All my birds are feed organic, non-GMO feed. All chicks except the bantam cochins are vaccinated for Mereks. PM for more information or photos.

Last edited:
My wife has FINALLY allowed me to get chickens! I live in Randolph and love all things eggs, in all ways. a close neighbor has had a few chickens for a while and has on occasion shared some eggs and they are incredible. the design and creation of the coop has begun, it will be 15 inches off the ground, and will be 3x3 feet. it will have a sloping roof, and be 4 feet high on one side, 3 feet on the other. One entire side of the coop will swing open for cleaning and egg harvesting. Our backyard is completely fenced in with 7 foot walls, so they will most likely be walking around all day in the yard.

We are looking to get only 4 chickens at this point, and were thinking about getting different kinds of chickens- 2 Rhode Island reds, 1 buff orpington and 1 Plymouth Rock.

looking forward to starting this process and having some fun! also, does anyone know where I could get some chickens without going online?

[COLOR=333333]My wife has FINALLY allowed me to get chickens!  I live in Randolph and love all things eggs, in all ways.  a close neighbor has had a few chickens for a while and has on occasion shared some eggs and they are incredible.  the design and creation of the coop has begun, it will be 15 inches off the ground, and will be 3x3 feet.  it will have a sloping roof, and be 4 feet high on one side, 3 feet on the other.  One entire side of the coop will swing open for cleaning and egg harvesting.  Our backyard is completely fenced in with 7 foot walls, so they will most likely be walking around all day in the yard.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]We are looking to get only 4 chickens at this point, and were thinking about getting different kinds of chickens- 2 Rhode Island reds, 1 buff orpington and 1 Plymouth Rock.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]looking forward to starting this process and having some fun!  also, does anyone know where I could get some chickens without going online?[/COLOR]

:weee Congratulations on your wife's approval! I'm sure those hens will win her over in no time.

Your coop plans sound a bit small though. Each chicken requires 4 square feet of indoor space. If you are looking to acquire four hens, a coop with the dimensions you are mentioning will be too crowded.

My wife has FINALLY allowed me to get chickens! I live in Randolph and love all things eggs, in all ways. a close neighbor has had a few chickens for a while and has on occasion shared some eggs and they are incredible. the design and creation of the coop has begun, it will be 15 inches off the ground, and will be 3x3 feet. it will have a sloping roof, and be 4 feet high on one side, 3 feet on the other. One entire side of the coop will swing open for cleaning and egg harvesting. Our backyard is completely fenced in with 7 foot walls, so they will most likely be walking around all day in the yard.

We are looking to get only 4 chickens at this point, and were thinking about getting different kinds of chickens- 2 Rhode Island reds, 1 buff orpington and 1 Plymouth Rock.

looking forward to starting this process and having some fun! also, does anyone know where I could get some chickens without going online?

Why are you against going online? I custom built my flock from chickensforbackyards.com....they let you do small orders...and you can even pay a little extra to have them sexed. If you go to TSC- you may end up with several roosters. You can also pick a ship date- they contact you 48 hours before shipping. I called my post office to give them a heads up- and I picked them up as soon as the truck arrived that day.

I think they were just maybe hoping to find some locally and is maybe easier for them. Plus shipping can be expensive. I am sure if they can't find anything local they will go online.

I got mine from Meyer Hatchery and they got here the day after they hatched. I LOVE Meyer.

But I have also heard Ventura Grains and Chickadee Seed & Feed recommended but haven't been to either.

And I agree, that coop is too small. I have a coop kit that size from TSC and it's way too small especially for large breeds like that. Of course i have 8 but even with 4 it would be too small.

Even if you don't want to make it a big huge coop I would expand it just a bit. The minimum is 4 square feet per bird so for 4 birds you can (and should/need to) go just a hair smaller at 4x4. It is not that much bigger and would not take up anymore room hardly but would be much more satisfactory and though it doesn't seem like a lot, adds the needed extra floor space. But that is if the space is entirely usable so I would add the nest boxes to the outside and put food amd water outside, the 4x4 is not including nest boxes. Also it should be at least 18 inches off the ground which is the height of most adult chickens. I'd make it 2 feet if you can as it's easier to clean and get under there.

If at all possible though, I'd make it bigger than the minimum since you have large breeds of birds. 4x6 would be nice or 4x8 even. Or 6x6. But I understand those are probably way too big but they will appreciate the room and you will likely want more chickens. But you do need to make it at least 4x4 at the minimum. Free ranging that should be fine but no smaller

Why are you against going online? I custom built my flock from chickensforbackyards.com....they let you do small orders...and you can even pay a little extra to have them sexed. If you go to TSC- you may end up with several roosters. You can also pick a ship date- they contact you 48 hours before shipping. I called my post office to give them a heads up- and I picked them up as soon as the truck arrived that day.

Shipping charges! It feels wrong spending $35-$45 on shipping for $15-$20 on chicks. Plus i'd like to support local farms

I think they were just maybe hoping to find some locally and is maybe easier for them. Plus shipping can be expensive. I am sure if they can't find anything local they will go online.

I got mine from Meyer Hatchery and they got here the day after they hatched. I LOVE Meyer.

But I have also heard Ventura Grains and Chickadee Seed & Feed recommended but haven't been to either.

And I agree, that coop is too small. I have a coop kit that size from TSC and it's way too small especially for large breeds like that. Of course i have 8 but even with 4 it would be too small.

Even if you don't want to make it a big huge coop I would expand it just a bit. The minimum is 4 square feet per bird so for 4 birds you can (and should/need to) go just a hair smaller at 4x4. It is not that much bigger and would not take up anymore room hardly but would be much more satisfactory and though it doesn't seem like a lot, adds the needed extra floor space. But that is if the space is entirely usable so I would add the nest boxes to the outside and put food amd water outside, the 4x4 is not including nest boxes. Also it should be at least 18 inches off the ground which is the height of most adult chickens. I'd make it 2 feet if you can as it's easier to clean and get under there.

If at all possible though, I'd make it bigger than the minimum since you have large breeds of birds. 4x6 would be nice or 4x8 even. Or 6x6. But I understand those are probably way too big but they will appreciate the room and you will likely want more chickens. But you do need to make it at least 4x4 at the minimum. Free ranging that should be fine but no smaller

Yeah ive heard that a few times since posting my plans, I have since changed it to 4x4.

Yeah ive heard that a few times since posting my plans, I have since changed it to 4x4.

Ahh okay, glad to hear you adapted it! :)

Shipping charges!  It feels wrong spending $35-$45 on shipping for $15-$20 on chicks.  Plus i'd like to support local farms

I figured that was why, I felt the same way when I got mine but for me it was worth it because i got the exact chickens I wanted. Well, almost. They were sold out of 2-3 breeds. Next time. :p I got 8 though and added a free chick so made the price a little worth it. One of the chicks died :( but the free one was an extra Buff Orpington :)

Anyways, it was worth it for me for the first time but next time I am going to go local whether through a smaller independent store other than TSC or through a breeder or something.

Shipping dropped to $20 above I think 15 or 20 chicks but then you are paying more for the chicks so winds up being around the same price anyways plus I didn't need that many so I see where you're coming from.

Do you have a town ordinance or something that limits your amount and the sex of the birds or your wife is just limiting you for your first time?

Do you have a town ordinance or something that limits your amount and the sex of the birds or your wife is just limiting you for your first time?

We have a town ordinance that limits us to 6 chickens, no roosters. I want to have 4 chickens because it would be a good start, an easy initiation into this crazy world!

Back
Top Bottom