BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hi all! I'm looking to add two female bantam babies to my household come spring, but as you know the minimum here is 6! Anyone willing to split an order? Also, does anyone know of any local breeders? I hate the idea of ordering from a company that doesn't care properly for their chicks
Hi Maatawry! I just saw your post on my thread. I would still love to share two female bantams with you. I PMed you with the details. Let me know if your still interested. :)

Hello everyone, I’m looking to buy a home in the greater Boston area (I need to commute everyday) and it’s really important to me that wherever I end up moving allows chickens (since I have 5 of them) but it’s hard enough keeping track of the legislation in one town! So I have two questions for everyone here:
1. If you live within an hour of Boston and are happy with your local chicken keeping legislation, where do you live? Hoping to get a list going!
2. Have you ever gone house-hunting with chicken keeping in mind? Do you have any tips or tricks?

I live on the south shore and most of the towns around here are right to farm communities so it is really nice. And pretty quiet cause even though we're central to a lot, there's still a lot of woods/open space and it doesn't feel like we're right on top of the city or anything.

I'm in Duxbury/Kingston/Marshfield/Plymouth area but there's also Halifax, Hanson, Carver, Plympton, Pembroke, etc. All of which are nice towns and some more "farmy" than others. But I THINK they all allow chickens but you would have to check into that.

I think North Shore is pretty good too but I have never really been and it might be a bit more cramped.

A lot of people also commute from southern New Hampshire, believe it or not. That might be good to stretch your wings (no pun intended lol) and still be within an hour of Boston. They have no income or sales tax either. Although with no other taxes, property taxes might be higher. I haven't looked into it.

But of course if you don't want to move to a new state, the south shore is nice.

There's also a little further west like Taunton, Lakeville, Middleboro or even Providence, RI. I thought those would be further from Boston because they're 40 mins to an hour from us but apparently they're still only an hour from Boston according to Google Maps ha

Most of these places also have trains nearby if you would rather commute by train.

Traffic can be pretty bad but I guess that usually comes with commuting. They are also widening the road.

Hope this helps!

You really have to check each town to their own laws. Many towns don't allow chickens at all.
My town just changed it from 9 hens without a permit to 5 hens without a permit.

I am looking for LAND so my hunt is going to be different then yours.

That's true too but most of the south shore communites are right to farm. Or at least a lot of them are.

I live on the south shore and most of the towns around here are right to farm communities so it is really nice. And pretty quiet cause even though we're central to a lot, there's still a lot of woods/open space and it doesn't feel like we're right on top of the city or anything.

I'm in Duxbury/Kingston/Marshfield/Plymouth area but there's also Halifax, Hanson, Carver, Plympton, Pembroke, etc. All of which are nice towns and some more "farmy" than others. But I THINK they all allow chickens but you would have to check into that.

I think North Shore is pretty good too but I have never really been and it might be a bit more cramped.

A lot of people also commute from southern New Hampshire, believe it or not. That might be good to stretch your wings (no pun intended lol) and still be within an hour of Boston. They have no income or sales tax either. Although with no other taxes, property taxes might be higher. I haven't looked into it.

But of course if you don't want to move to a new state, the south shore is nice.

There's also a little further west like Taunton, Lakeville, Middleboro or even Providence, RI. I thought those would be further from Boston because they're 40 mins to an hour from us but apparently they're still only an hour from Boston according to Google Maps ha

Most of these places also have trains nearby if you would rather commute by train.

Traffic can be pretty bad but I guess that usually comes with commuting. They are also widening the road.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I'll look into the South Shore and New Hampshire. I currently live on the North Shore and while a lot of towns allow chickens to some extent I find many regulations are pretty strict, quite a few towns will not allow more than 4 chickens...

Thank you! I'll look into the South Shore and New Hampshire. I currently live on the North Shore and while a lot of towns allow chickens to some extent I find many regulations are pretty strict, quite a few towns will not allow more than 4 chickens...

No problem! Hope you're able to find something! I think the regulations are a bit less strict down here

You didn't say Where you want to move to. MA is Large and if you are talking NH too that is a big area.
Out western MA should be easy to have chickens but even some of them will have regulations if you are in town ?

I am looking for Land and to have a Farm. I still have to look at every towns laws and also how much the property tax is.

Looks like I am joining here...
Western MA, no birds yet, but I've ordered 10 layers to arrive early May.

Australorp, Buckeye, Orpington, Wyandotte.

I'll also be ordering red rangers for meat shortly. 12 for starters this year.

Next year I'd like to bring in tick-loving guinea fowl as well.

Back
Top Bottom