BYC members in Massachusetts?

It's been awhile since I've seen you post. How is your winter going? I'm farther north and it's been fairly cold and snowy. This January "thaw" is finally clearing the ice pack out of yard.
Good to hear from you! Winter is going ok. I hate winter, as I have seasonal effective disorder, but I’ve been able to get out on the milder days. I added a call duck to my flock, who is in my profile pic. I’m a lot less depressed with the ducks around, that’s for sure!

Good to hear from you! Winter is going ok. I hate winter, as I have seasonal effective disorder, but I’ve been able to get out on the milder days. I added a call duck to my flock, who is in my profile pic. I’m a lot less depressed with the ducks around, that’s for sure!
I don’t think anyone could be sad around ducks. They are the original comedians of the animal world. I get a good dose of mixed barnyard poultry fun when I go to the feed store in Townsend. Their flock includes Turkeys, chickens and ducks all free ranging the parking lot. Very entertaining. Enjoy the last day of our January thaw, Winter returns tomorrow.

Did anyone go to the Poultry Congress? It was awesome this year! I was able to get some hatching eggs. I went to get a 1/2 dozen LF RC Ancona eggs but the nice lady who was going to sell them to me dropped all but three but I got some great Silkie eggs to fill up the rest of my incubator, so hopefully some will be hens and I can have some white eggs. If you have never attended the poultry congress it is a must for chicken people. I think they had over 3000 entries this year not even counting all the sale birds.

Did anyone go to the Poultry Congress? It was awesome this year! I was able to get some hatching eggs. I went to get a 1/2 dozen LF RC Ancona eggs but the nice lady who was going to sell them to me dropped all but three but I got some great Silkie eggs to fill up the rest of my incubator, so hopefully some will be hens and I can have some white eggs. If you have never attended the poultry congress it is a must for chicken people. I think they had over 3000 entries this year not even counting all the sale birds.

Oh wow that sounds amazing!! :eek:

I will have to go some year!!!

But I do NOT need anymore birds atm haha

Trying to get rid of some in fact.

Almost all of my chicks from my hatch turned out male except maybe two :hit

My husband and I went! I very nobly did not buy any birds but I wanted to very, very much. I fell totally in love with OEGBs, of all things, and anything that was a blue color. While I did not buy anything I am now planning to get chickens soon -- small or bantam!

My husband and I went! I very nobly did not buy any birds but I wanted to very, very much. I fell totally in love with OEGBs, of all things, and anything that was a blue color. While I did not buy anything I am now planning to get chickens soon -- small or bantam!
First off:welcome Fair warning chicken keeping is very addicting. I have LF but people seem to love their Bantams. Bantams are so pretty, the roosters are not as loud, mostly and they don't take up as much room, but the eggs are small.

I do have 5 Silkie eggs in the incubator so we'll see how they do. Good luck on your chicken adventure. Do you have a coop yet?

First off:welcome Fair warning chicken keeping is very addicting. I have LF but people seem to love their Bantams. Bantams are so pretty, the roosters are not as loud, mostly and they don't take up as much room, but the eggs are small.

I do have 5 Silkie eggs in the incubator so we'll see how they do. Good luck on your chicken adventure. Do you have a coop yet?

Not yet -- but I have a pattern and the wood priced out! I'm off this week but the weather has been brutally cold, so that combined with illness is putting off an active build. I've built four rabbit hutches already so at least I have some experience!

This question probably belongs in the chicken behavior forum but I like to see the activity in our Mass. thread. Does anybody else have hens that sleep in a nesting box instead of up on their roosting bars and if so what have you done to stop the habit.
I have tried blocking the nest several times to force her to sleep elsewhere but she always resumes her bad habit. The broblem
Is the mess she makes in the nest which results in filthy eggs

Back
Top Bottom