BYC members in Massachusetts?

Aha, thank you for the info! I'll have to factor that in to my thinking about how I proceed.

You know, I had asked about local chicken keeping clubs and it seemed like there weren't any, around here at least, the online group format was taking its place. But I used to have bees and the local beekeeping club was able to get benefits for its members like being able to order things that had large minimums, big supplier discounts, stuff like that. I think there might be more people keeping chickens compared to bees, at least just judging my the small area around me. I could imagine a club being able to work out with someone to get a specific date/time meeting a specific minimum, allowing individuals to bring fewer, for example. Or, some of the bee vendors were invited to speak at meetings and brought things to sell at a discount, for example, or people from regulatory places came to offer advice, like on keeping bears away, stuff like that. It was pretty useful and also fun.

I know in-person groups just might not be anyone's thing anymore, especially since the pandemic, but I wonder ...? I know as a newbie it was very time efficient to ask my ignorant questions of the group while we were all eating snacks together instead of posting them one by one! If you do know of such a group please let me know! And thank you for your patient help with these questions!
You’re welcome. With chickens, you learn to be patient. It’s also possible that a few backyard chicken keepers join together to combine their birds into one large order. That way the price per bird might be a little less. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Are there any BYC members in Massachusetts? Or am I all alone?
hmm.png
I’m from Arlington MA but live in RI... for now.

Chickens are all fine. Really wicked winds last night with the -15F temps before the windchill. After peeling back the vinyl shower curtains earlier half the chickens were in the run pecking up breakfast. I gave them warm water and scrambled eggs. They all loved it. The temperature inside their coop was only zero, no below numbers. At the time it was still -13F outside and windy. I went out again a little while ago and gave them more liquid water and warm chicken pellet mash. The temp inside the coop was already “warming” to 2F. And I got a fresh, warm egg. I didn’t see any signs of frostbite either. Good news. Hopefully everyone’s birds did as well.
I have bantams and one is a silkie. They are all happy and still laying in the freezing cold. I was worried because this is their first winter. But they were all perfectly fine.

Whoops. It looks like there are two "Massachusetts" threads. I already posted this on the other, but here's a little about me:

I am north of Boston, in the Merrimack Valley. We got our two Crested Cream Legbar (eight-and ten-year-old) girls from Muddy Mutt Farms in Farmington, NH, and our two 14-week-old Salmon Faverolles girls from Littleman Poultry in Burrillville, RI. The latter two are still in quarantine (only because we got the CCLs first), but all four seem very healthy and acclimated. We've got a few more weeks before we can introduce them. I hope that it doesn't get super cold before then.

I see a lot of rooster rehoming going on here. We are not allowed to have them in our town, otherwise I'd love to help out. We are already in hot water as it is, with a quarantine crate in our garage. I do like many parts of living in Massachusetts, but some of our laws are so outdated and create massive hurdles for those without financial means. It's no wonder why so little housing has been built here in decades! End rant :)
Try living in RI!
It’s even worse!

Hi. Western Mass here. 👋

Newer member, lurking for about 3 years. 😁 I have 2 hens that are 3 yrs old and a batch of 6 new babies. (Minimum order for TSC)

Now I'm going to have 8 hens... but I may have to re-home 2-3 of them or move 3 to my other house if I can't find them homes since I have an unused coop there. (Rules say max 6 per property)

Although I don't anticipate a problem rehoming these days. 😅

I'm waiting to see what they turn out to be. Got 3 mystery chickens and 3 black sex link. I'm more concerned about personality and getting along with the OG.

Have to build a new coop once the weather cooperates. Some of these guys are getting big FAST!

Hi. Western Mass here. 👋

Newer member, lurking for about 3 years. 😁 I have 2 hens that are 3 yrs old and a batch of 6 new babies. (Minimum order for TSC)

Now I'm going to have 8 hens... but I may have to re-home 2-3 of them or move 3 to my other house if I can't find them homes since I have an unused coop there. (Rules say max 6 per property)

I'm waiting to see what they turn out to be. Got 3 mystery chickens and 3 black sex link. I'm more concerned about personality and getting along with the OG.

Have to build a new coop once the weather cooperates. Some of these guys are getting big FAST!
Welcome to the wonderful, but dusty world of chicken keeping. Don’t be tempted to buy one of those cute chicken coops you see online. They are crap, and will not adequately protect your investment. Check out the coop building thread on the BYC site. A quick option is purchasing a small storage shed from HD or lowes and converting it to a coop. Best of luck with your wee flock.

Hi. Western Mass here. 👋

WELCOME TO BYC!!!
I agree with not buying a “cute” coop online! They are junk and won’t last.
Keep us updated! We all love photos! ;0)
Feel free to share! It’s always fun to see what your babies will turn into!

Back
Top Bottom