BYC members in Massachusetts?

Hey my fellow Mass people! I am in Central Mass.

We started with 6 pandemic chickens, and have now increased our numbers to 21! We have:
The Golden Girls (the original 6, plus three more: Ginger (Buff Orpington), Betty & Veronica (RIR), and Una, Fluff, and Jackie (Ayam Cemanis)

The Little Girls: Maple and Camilla (Seramas), Toast, Blossom, and Poppy (Silkies), Luz (Bantam Wyandotte), and Karen (Naked Neck Silkie)

The Bachelors: Sam, Cornpop, and Raine (Seramas), Dino (Silkie), and Hunter (Bantam Wyandotte)

The Little Girls and the Bachelors are currently living together, but we are building a bachelor pad for the boys, they're too cute to get rid of!

Hey, Dawg, besides Angell, in Boston, there is a Parrot Rescue just across the border into Rhode Island, Foster Parrots. It used to be in Mass, but got moved when they had to expand. I know they used to take parakeets.
Thank you! My dad ended up finding a home for them for me but thank you. Local shelter offered to put them on their website.

Hi there I am from Mass, too, kinda in the middle of the State. It is a great place to be lol!

Actually I wanted to ask if anybody from this area knows of a vet who treats chickens/poultry other than Tufts? I am trying to find someone to help me with my young roo...
thanks and enjoy the day :)
Might know someone who knows someone. Is it urgent or just a question out of curiosity?

Hi, I’m new. I am in Central, Ma. I have a 1 yr old Barred Rock rooster looking for a new home. Calm, docile, raised him from a chick, not aggressive at all, a real sweetheart.

This says I am writing a reply but I’m not quite sure I don’t fully understand this messaging format. I hope I’m not replying to a specific comment but rather the thread as a whole. Hi all I have been mostly communicating with chicken people on Facebook but so far I have found a more helpful and unassuming crowd here. I was posting on what I assume was the general feed yesterday but someone pointed me to the state feed. I am in western Ma near Springfield and have about 35 chickens or so now and 2 ducks. My initial reason for getting on here is because our chickens have mites and we have been fighting the battle with them for months and spent hundreds of dollars and it doesn’t seem to be working. We are at our wits and and may be looking to rehome our birds. I was told about a woman that may be willing to come help us but I haven’t heard back from her yet so I am trying to not get my hopes up. Just yesterday we were set on culling the flock but some people convinced me to try to rehome. If anyone would be interested in any please let me know and I can update when I know more.

This says I am writing a reply but I’m not quite sure I don’t fully understand this messaging format. I hope I’m not replying to a specific comment but rather the thread as a whole. Hi all I have been mostly communicating with chicken people on Facebook but so far I have found a more helpful and unassuming crowd here. I was posting on what I assume was the general feed yesterday but someone pointed me to the state feed. I am in western Ma near Springfield and have about 35 chickens or so now and 2 ducks. My initial reason for getting on here is because our chickens have mites and we have been fighting the battle with them for months and spent hundreds of dollars and it doesn’t seem to be working. We are at our wits and and may be looking to rehome our birds. I was told about a woman that may be willing to come help us but I haven’t heard back from her yet so I am trying to not get my hopes up. Just yesterday we were set on culling the flock but some people convinced me to try to rehome. If anyone would be interested in any please let me know and I can update when I know more.

Welcome to BYC! I am from Western Ma near Springfield as well.

I am so sorry to hear about your flocks mite problem. We use food grade DE around the coop and ash in our birds dust bath and they have been fine. Your birds must have a super mite that is immune. I wish I could help, but I have 20 birds myself. I wish you the best.

Hi from central Ma! I've found the best thing that worked for me when I had a bad infestation of mites is a product called Elector Psp at 3 ml per quart, spray it around the coop and on the vents and other areas of the bird that tend to harbor mites and it works much better than anything else I had tried. It made it so that they are completely gone as of now. I'm sure I could have to treat again in the winter but it's so much easier than than permethrin dust/DE disaster that I had before. There's also no egg withdrawl, though it's a pretty expensive product.

Back
Top Bottom