BYC Mentioned In Newsweek.com

woot.gif
woot.gif

18,000?! I realize that there are a lot of members here compared to a year ago, but had no idea it was that many members. I switched over here from the old ezboard site and used to be able to keep up with all of the conversations here. Not anymore... Now I pick and choose interesting subject lines. Way too much here to keep up with everything...

thumbsup.gif

I love that the article pointed out the having small flocks of chickens is historically NORMAL, not weird like some people think!

I have to disagree with this quote though. "Keeping a chicken is relatively easy, too—assuming you don't get too attached." Why? I would name and pet my chickens at home all the time... Maybe they mean that predators can get them. Well what about cats that get hit by cars? Should we not get attached to them?

But mostly....
woot.gif

I have to disagree with this quote though. "Keeping a chicken is relatively easy, too—assuming you don't get too attached." Why? I would name and pet my chickens at home all the time... Maybe they mean that predators can get them. Well what about cats that get hit by cars? Should we not get attached to them?

I think they just meant that it is easy unless you get attached and then it is HARDER, i.e. b/c chickens are rather short-lived so more-frequent heartbreak for the owner.

Congrats Rob
smile.png

And I think this just ADDS to my suspicion that people who have very specific ideas about what breeds they want for what hatch dates from large mailorder hatcheries might oughta place their orders a little EXTRA early next year, before things get all booked up...
smile.png

Pat​

Quote:
I think they just meant that it is easy unless you get attached and then it is HARDER, i.e. b/c chickens are rather short-lived so more-frequent heartbreak for the owner.

Pat

I suppose that's true. It's never been my experience, though. When a chicken of ours died (most often of old age) I know they had a great life. No creature can ask for more! Still, I'm happy that the tone of the article was positive.
big_smile.png

Hey, BYC is famous! This is a great plug and a reminder of how grateful we all are for this online community and the people who manage it! Thanks Rob and all !!!!

Jen Blecha, of the article, is my partner and I'm proud of both her and BYC for being part of this really positive trend. Every month at church, a different family tells me that they're going to get a flock for their backyard. It's a real community builder and conversation starter in the city.

Maybe I can convince Jen to demonstrate more of that 'mowing/pecking' phenomenon before the snow comes.
smile.png

Peace,

Kerri

Back
Top Bottom