BYC Mentioned In Newsweek.com

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Nifty-Chicken, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I had an interview a week ago and am glad to see that BYC got some good press!!

A few excerpts:

"There's definitely a growing movement," says 33-year-old Rob Ludlow, the Bay Area operator of BackyardChickens.com and the owner of five chickens of his own. "A lot of people really do call it an addiction. Chickens are fun, they have a lot of personality. I think people are starting to see that they're really easy pets—and they actually produce something in return."

BackyardChickens.com logs some 6 million page views each month and has some 18,000 members in its forum, where community members share colorful stories (giving a chicken CPR), photos (from a California chicken show), even look to each other for comfort. "I am worried that non-BYC people won't understand why a 34-year-old woman would cry over a $7 chicken," writes a Stockton, N.J., woman, whose chicken was killed by a hawk.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/168740

BTW, only 18,000 members? That was SOOOOO last month! [​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    LOL!!! That's awesome!!! I woulda thought u would have more chickens than any of us, though....

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    GEt ready for another growth spurt!!!!

4. Nifty-Chicken

5. Nifty-Chicken

Wow, I decided to see if I could find the article form the homepage of Newsweek.com and saw this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's great! I'm gonna make sure I have all my eggs and chicken F/S adds up! [​IMG]

7. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    [​IMG] when I first joined this site I never thought I would be on it this much and it has grown a lot and I hope it keeps growing. Everyone needs chickens!!

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That is so cool!!!! When we got our chickens last year, I was actually embarassed. Now I'm OH SO PROUD!!!!! I'm so grateful for this site - don't know what I'd do without all of you!!!!

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Keep up the good work Nifty [​IMG]

10. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Wonderful ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by