BYC SEWING/QUILTING CLUB

Quote:
Let's say you are going to the fabric store and you say you want a quarter yard of something...Well a quarter of a yard will accurately end up being 9" wide by whatever the fabric on the bolt is.
Now a fat quarter is going to give you the same amount of fabric but it will be shaped differently because the process for cutting it is to take a yard of fabric and cut it top to bottom in the middle then left to right in the middle. Now you have a piece that is 18" wide by half of whatever the fabric on the bolt was.

Now I have a question. Really, I am open to suggestions. I just got an e-mail from my mom that she is throwing a long distance baby shower for my cousin's wife and gifts should be sent out by JUNE 15th. Thanks mom. So, it's not that we aren't a close family by choice, it's just that with everyone being in the service we are so geographically separated that we generally have nothing to do with each other's daily life and therefore this is the kind of event that to not participate in 100% is bad...really bad.
I have never met the wife in person...she is Polish...28 yo. I busted into their internet photo album and surveyed the clothing she wears to see if I could tell what colors she likes. Lately she's been wearing tirquoise and pinks, but pre-pregnancy photos are all in the orange or earthy colors. In many photos at different times and locations she is wearing a (really cute) sweater the color of unbleached muslin (could be a fav)?
So now that I've confused myself about colors....anyone want to toss out some confusion about patterns? I'd like something a little more formal than nine-patch with less than 10% applique.

Hum... I'd go for the earth tones. She obviously loves them, blankets are used most often in winter and she'll be wearing those colors. Course knowing me I'd do something like put brown (tan and all shades in between) and turquoise (or pink or yellow) together, then you'll have a happy marriage of both.

Good luck, can't wait to see it!

By the way, I have recently had a few Mom's request light summer blankets. We've made them out of one layer of flannel and hemmed the edges. Maybe you could do a pretty quilt for winter and a few simple wrap blankets for summer. All the gals I made them for seemed to want them to be smaller for while the baby was small, 30x30 (finished size). Also to make the hemming super easy you could use bias tape.

Ohhh I love baby gifts! Just not soo sure about crying babies.

A "Fat Quarter" is a 18'x24" rectangle of fabric that is basically a 1/2" a yard of fabric cut at the fold of a 48" width of fabric. The reason for this is that a 1/4" of a yard of fabric cut from Selvage to Selvage would sometimes interfere with the print of the fabric so the 1/2" of yard divided at the fold created a larger view of the print. A "Fat Eight" is basically the same thing, but with a 1/4 yard cut at the fold, but this was intended for smaller prints.
thumbsup.gif

39455_chicks.jpg

I'm playing today... after a crazy work week last week, finally a day to play!!!

By the way B this is going in the mail today... sorry I've been having waaaay too much to do more than I predicted during PO hours anyway

39455_img00129-1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a measurement of material, usually 18x22. You can buy them at quilt and fabric shops and are real handy for smaller projects or larger if you're going for the scrappy look. Our guild has a fat quarter raffle every meeting. Whoever donates one or more fat quarters is eligible for the drawing and whoever wins gets all the fat quarters donated. Have fun!

A couple of things... I want to share a quilt I recently completed... and some news, as well.
smile.png

After all of you teasing me for so long, I thought I should share with you - Mike and I are expecting a baby!! We estimate that I should be due on February 3rd, but we go for an ultrasound Monday morning to verify.
smile.png
We're quite excited!

My best friend had her newest baby girl on June 1st and this coming Friday we are headed out west on vacation. We're planning to stop to visit her and meet the new baby in WA during our trip. I also plan to give her this quilt while we're there for the new baby. It is another disappearing 9 patch quilt.

IMG_6919.jpg

The baby's name is Keira, so I stiched each letter of her name in one of the blocks at the top. The letters didn't show up very well in the picture.

IMG_6922.jpg

Back
Top Bottom