BYC Spinning Fiber

It's a chain ply; just like the crochet chain stitch.

Thats right.....it amazes me how it works. It makes a 3 ply that is really nice.

You can tell from the above photos i am no expert......hard for me to keep a consistent size yarn. I started spinning in the 80's but i didnt spin for several years...work..kids...you know. I dont worry anymore about getting perfect yarn. I like bumpy yarn...lol...and bright colors. And it knits up pretty well.

Come on y'all post some pics.

:frow

Hi everyone! I didn't realize this forum was on here, so imagine how excited I am to find spinners with chickens! Glad to know you're here. I've recently acquired a beautifully curly Gotland fleece. It doesn't seem to have much of a lanolin content. Do any of you know anything about processing it before spinning it?

Hi everyone!  I didn't realize this forum was on here, so imagine how excited I am to find spinners with chickens!  Glad to know you're here.  I've recently acquired a beautifully curly Gotland fleece.  It doesn't seem to have much of a lanolin content.  Do any of you know anything about processing it before spinning it?
Sorry, no help here. I'm very new to spinning, but in a few short months I've worked with Suffolk, Angora (goat), and Icelandic. But no Gotland. What are you going to make with it!?

It's not easy to say something that may help without see/feel the wool. I once had carded gotland wool that was very easy to spin but went from super soft to not that soft after spinning/plying. A friend told me that she always spins gotland wool with the lanoline and than washes the wool after plying.for a softer yarn. But for me the result was okay and given that the wool felts very easy, I never tried spinnig direct from the fleece. I wouldn't knit underwear from gotland wool, but it is great for vests, cardigans and such. Very shiny, cool yarn.

It sounds like it would be great for felting. I love felted bags. For one i dyed the wool bright colors with kool-aid and then i knit and felted it. It is my favorite. You could even felt your bag and then sew a sturdy strap to it. I usually knit the strap, but was thinking of sewing the next one. The worst thing is that the fancy new washing machines don't felt wool easily.

That would be really neat! I am never quite sure what you are supposed to do with art yarn though - other than admire it! I imagine it would be hard to knit or crochet anything with feathers in it. Maybe you could weave it? That's the one fiber art I have avoided so far, so I can't say for sure.

Back
Top Bottom