BYC Spring 2009 Quilt Block Swap Signups CLOSED BLOCKS IN MAIL 4/17

amyquilt

Serama Mama
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Amarillo, TX
With the invitation of MissPrissy, I am honored to be hosting the Spring Quilt Block swap!! (Thanks MP!!)

First off, the *fine print* as noted by MP on her thread.

This swap is not endorsed by BYC (owner, website, staff, etc.). The BYC Staff is not responsible and will not mediate if something goes "wrong" or a deal goes "bad". If you choose to participate in a swap, it is best to know who you are swapping with and not to swap more than you can afford to lose.

The BYC Staff is sensitive because of past swaps. We want our members to feel comfortable having fun with these and other social interactions, but please keep in mind that there were issues with some organizers and swappers bailing in the past.

Like any other interaction: Have fun, but be careful and safe!"

springblockswap.jpg

Now, on to the fun stuff!

Participants:
1. amyquilt ~ RECEIVED
2. horsejody ~ RECEIVED
3. luvs2garden2000 ~ RECEIVED
4. cockadoodlemom ~ RECEIVED
5. SloCrevs ~ RECEIVED
6. ~ no contact
7. Zookeeper9000 ~ RECEIVED
8. Scrambled Egg ~ RECEIVED
9. ~ dropped. No problem at all.
10. lisavarney ~ RECEIVED
11. ~ no contact
12. ~ no contact
13. gumpsgirl ~ RECEIVED
14. gumpsgirl sister - Brenda ~RECEIVED
15. thowe ~ RECEIVED
16. ginbart ~ RECEIVED
17. newchickenfamily ~ RECEIVED
18. ginbart friend - Carla ~ RECEIVED
19. Ma_Kettle ~ RECEIVED
20. Felicity - amyquilt daughter ~ RECEIVED
21. FrChuckW ~ RECEIVED
22. chicken women ~ RECEIVED
23. katiebelle ~ RECEIVED

2009 BYC Spring Swap Guidelines

Theme: Springtime on the Farm

Fabric: All fabrics used should be 100% cotton, very nice quality quilt appropriate fabrics. No thing flimsy fabrics, please. FABRICS MUST BE PREWASHED PRIOR TO USING.

Colors: Any color fitting to the theme, which makes this pretty open. BUT no snow, fall leaves, etc. After all, this is SPRINGTIME on the Farm.
wink.png

Block size: 12.5 inches unfinished (will finish at 12 inches once put together. This measurement will be enforced. If your blocks do not measure 12.5 inches when I get ready to swap them, the will be returned to you unswapped. I hate to be this way, but when the swappers put together their quilts and a block isn't the right size, it makes for a nightmare, or is simply a block that is unusable.

Block Pattern: Any pieced or applique pattern is fine, just keep at least one of the fabrics within the swap theme.

Number of blocks: This will depend on how many sign up for each type. I will keep the thread updated of the number as we go along with signups and a total at the end of signups. I would estimate no more than 20 of each type.

Blocks due to me: March 21, 2009. Blocks will be swapped and mailed out asap after all are received. I will only wait 5 days for stragglers.

Mailing: When you mail your blocks to me, be sure to INCLUDE INSIDE a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) with your address in both the From and To slots with the EXACT same amount of postage as it costs you to send them to me.

Mailing: Here is a step by step guide.
1. After your blocks are complete, put some type of label on each one, so swappers know you made the block. They can be in individual baggies, but it is not required.
2. Go to the Post Office and get 2 of the large Tyvek (plasticy-paper) Priority Mail envelopes. They are free. They are waterproof and nearly indestructable. Please don't use boxes to ship your blocks. They make your package weigh more and cost more to ship.
3. Address one of the Tyvek envelopes to ME (I will email my address to everyone at the end of signups) with YOUR return address.
4. Address the second Tyvek envelope to YOURSELF with YOUR return address.
5. Place all of your completed blocks into the Tyvek envelope addressed to ME and also include the Tyvek envelope addressed to YOURSELF.
6. Do NOT seal the package yet!
7. Take your package to the Post Office and have it weighed to mail to ME. ALSO purchase postage for the SAME AMOUNT as to mail to me and put that SAME AMOUNT of postage on the Tyvek envelope that is addressed back to YOURSELF. (Example: Say it costs $5.34 to ship the package to me. You will also purchase stamps in the amount of $5.34 and place them on the envelope INSIDE the package that will be RETURNING TO YOU. So your total postage spent at the post office would be $10.68. After you have put the return postage stamps on the envelope inside the package. Mail your package to me.

Labels: On each block, please include some type of label (I use sticky address labels I print on the computer) with your BYC name, real name and email address. Some swappers like to keep this information with their quilt log.

Please post here if you would like to join. As well as posting here, please PM me with your email addy, so I can keep a database for this swap.

If I missed anything, please feel free to slap me...um...I mean ask!!!

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
sounds like fun, but I only just learned to quilt this year, never learned to applique, and the quilting I learned was extremely simple. would a block include a back and batting? that wouldn't make sense though, would it, cuz then there would be an unfinished edge showing when you sewed it together. right?

I'm confused.

No, a block is just that, a block. Even if you want to do a basic 9 patch block, that's fine, as long as one of the fabrics fits the theme.
thumbsup.gif

I am considering joining this, but the deadline is a bit close with my other projects. I'll probably join, but have to finish up another swap project first. I would like to add that you may want to require the fabric to be good 100% cotton and not thin material. You may also want to give a bit more detail about the applique. Is fusible applique OK? Do the edges need to be sewn down?

Back
Top Bottom