Ended BYC Writing Prompts! A Short Story Contest

Pics
Prompt: Non-fiction
Title: Gorillas

Once upon a time there was a little boy, who lived in Seattle. One day his mother asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. The boy thought carefully, then answered, "I know I cannot be, but I wish I could be a gorilla."

Years later that same boy and his family had a getaway cabin on nearby Bainbridge Island. The weekend he and his family were to visit, they had heard the scotch broom (a wild flower on the island,) had bloomed and there was going to be a parade. The boy's mother had made the boy a gorilla costume and decorated the bike so he could be in the parade.

At the same time, there was a little girl on the same island, who also wanted to be in the parade. She borrowed a gorilla mask. Just as the parade began, someone said..."There is another gorilla." The little girl turned to see a boy on a bike wearing a gorilla suit. "The boy on the bike said..."Oh, you are a gorilla, too..." And kept going. The little girl thrust her hand out to call out, "Wait!" But he was gone into the sea of revelers.

Many years went by and the boy moved to Bainbridge Island. He went to the same schools as the girl, but they never met. Then in his final year, they saw each other at a HS dance and started to dance together, neither one asking the other to dance. The boy said, "My name is Todd." The girl said, "I know." She never met him or knew his name, he just looked like a "Todd" to her.

Many years after being married to Todd, the girl saw a movie called "Serendipity." The girl thought, if serendipity was real, she would have married the boy on the bike, who wore the gorilla suit.

Many, many years later the little girl, now a woman with 2 children with the boy, Todd, who was now a man, was looking through a family photo album at his mom's house. There was a picture of a boy on a bike wearing a gorilla suit. She asked if he was in the scotch broom parade wearing the gorilla suit, he said he was. She told him, I was the other gorilla. "Oh," he said, "you were standing by the department store on the corner..." They hugged, not only because serendipity was real, but because they were the gorillas.

Last edited:
Times Up Tick Tock GIF by DrSquatch

This contest ends tonight, so get those last-minute entries in!​

For those who have already submitted their entries, please note that today is the final day for any edits to be made to your stories. Remember that proper spelling and grammar are important, so it might be worth considering using a tool like Grammarly to double-check.

Prompt: Science Fiction
Title: Sacrifices
Word count: 475

“Sooooo, you gonna tell her or shall I?” James asked.
I pounded my fist on the control panel and sighed. “I’ll tell her.”
James clapped his hand on my shoulder and smiled “Good man.”
I kicked my chair back and stormed out of the lab. Dr. Lampis would not be pleased to hear the news. The door to her lab was closed and two guards were stationed outside. They scanned the implanted ID chip on the back of my neck and let me through. The large doors slid silently into place behind me.
The small laboratory was clean and organized. I walked past rows of samples and small animals preserved in formalin. Many electronics buzzed and whirred quietly.
I turned a corner and saw the head scientist seated at a desk, her eye to a microscope.
“Dr,” I quietly said so as not to startle her into making a mistake “I’m bringing a report.”
“Splendid,” She mumbled, not looking up “I could do with some good news right about now.”
“It’s quite the opposite,” I replied, picking up my courage “The entire thing went down in flames and I don't mean that metaphorically”
She was paying close attention now.
“It’ll take months just to g—”
“Dr. Williams, you are one of my best, I sent you and many of my resources to complete this job,” She stood up and walked slowly toward me, “To hear that it failed, now, that brings me great sadness.”
“I'm sorry to hear that ma’am,” I said, “I’ll make sure that it doesn't happen again.”
“No,” she was standing right in front of me now, “There won't be an ‘again’”
I began to back away and she followed me. I bumped into a table sending several glass vials crashing to the ground. Lampis looked down at the mess and furrowed her brow.
“How clumsy,” She smiled, “Enough of this nonsense.”
She took a small device from her left pocket and pressed a button.
A ringing sounded in my ears and the room began to spin. There was a burning sensation in the back of my neck and I dropped to the floor. Everything went black.

When I opened my eyes again, I had been propped in the corner of a large, metal room. A hissing sounded from the wall in front of me. Then it hit me, I was in the airlock.
“No, nonononono,” I gasped. This wasn't happening. I heard her voice in my head.
“There is no room for mistakes or for those who make them here.”
Scrambling to my feet, I ran to the door and began to pound upon it.
“Please!,” I yelled, “Please don't do this to me!”
The door to the void of space sprang open and I was immediately sucked out. The last thing I knew was cold and weightlessness and then….nothing.

Back
Top Bottom