BYCer's Grandfather's concoction for egg laying jumstart

Quote:
A day with a smile in it makes life better. Two smiles is wonderful.
10233_laughing_puppy.gif

I saved this post from Justusnak--could it be this?

If your hens are not laying..and you are not seeing lice/mites...get a bucket of corn. He always used a 5 gallon bucket. NOT cracked corn, hard feed corn. Fill the bucket with the corn, and add water to just cover the top of the corn. Add one can of red hot pepper. mix it in a little..then let it set overnight. In the morning the corn will have "popped" from absorbing the water. Feed it to those chickens...as much as they will eat in one day. Give it about a day or so, and be ready for eggs....LOTS and LOTS of eggs. I remember my mother doing this with her hens one spring....oh BOY did we have the eggs. we couldn't GIVE them away fast enough. So we started feeding them to the pigs. This is called " burning the moult" It is not harmfull to the chickens. Just cleans out their system a little, and gives them a jump start on the laying season.

Hmmmm...interesting!

I have five 20-week olds who are showing no real signs, nor interest, in laying right now. I know the days are short and cool(ish), and they're still young...plus, I have no supplemental light. Guess I just need to hurry up and wait!

But the cayenne things reminded me of when I was in graduate school...If any of my housemates were ever sick, each of us (and there were 20 in the house) would bring out a "magic ingredient" and we'd make a soup--cayenne was always included. If you survived the soup, you were better in about 3 hours!! None of us ever laid eggs, but I can see how a concoction like that might clean out a hen and get her moving again!!

I have also heard you can feed hot mash with cayenne pepper. Soak your feed with hot water mixed with some cayenne pepper and feed it to them while it is still warm. I have never tried it so I don't know if it works.

In this recipe of Grandfather, how much is meant by this:

"Add one can of red hot pepper." ?

A can of pepper sauce?
A can of pepper flakes?
A can of cayenne pepper?

I'm not sure, and it would make a difference!

Any ideas?

Cindy

In this recipe of Grandfather, how much is meant by this:

"Add one can of red hot pepper." ?

A can of pepper sauce?
A can of pepper flakes?
A can of cayenne pepper?

I'm not sure, and it would make a difference!

Any ideas?

Cindy
Funny, I was just looking at an old recipe that said half a 'can' of some spice/flavoring... we surmised that they meant the old metal cans of spices that used to be common.
The actual quantity remains a mystery as there were different sized cans.

Anyway, @thechicksluvme this thread is 5 years old, so I doubt you will get an response from the OP.
I believe that most folks who subscribe to this technique use ground red pepper.
I suggest you use the advanced search function, there's a ton of discussion on the use of pepper.
Advanced search>titles only>cayenne pepper

Back
Top Bottom