BYC's 2021 Spooktacular Halloween Hatch-Along!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Eggs where set see ya in three weeks with hopefully some lavenders with rose combs!
20211010_130155.jpg

OK final tally for October eggs is 44, though 2 are likely infertile. All are Silkies and Silkie crosses. First set are due to hatch this Saturday. The remaining 42 are progressing nicely in different stages of development. I do have one egg with a completely detached air cell, though it is doing well here on DAY 6 and I plan to hatch this one upright and stop turning it at day 14.😊
Good luck to all you fellow hatchers out there!❤️
Halloween will be here before we know it!😃
07083749-66DC-48D5-A713-6EC8A80D4BC8.jpeg

Setting my eggs in my NR360!
View attachment 2861292
I have hatched hundreds/thousands of eggs in this and have decided over time that it's best for me personally not to add water for humidity until the 17th to 18th day until hatch day. I candle whenever I feel like it (never after day 18 though). I also set the temp to 100°F versus 99.5°F, it's just a preference.

Here they are in the incubator (notice how they are already on a shelf liner, it is used for grip when the chicks hatch and prevents splayed leg)
View attachment 2861296
I do the same for temps. Actually I push it to 100.5.

Incubator is up and running, holding temperature and humidity. Yay! Eggies are out, resting at room temperature. Looks like we're all ready to set tomorrow morning! I'm so excited, hope I can sleep tonight and don't give in to the urge to go ahead and set them in the middle of the night. Nah, I'll find the willpower.
Do we have specific days for everyone to candle and report in, or is it just willy-nilly?
I've done a lot of hatching over the years but never a hatch-a-long. This is fun.
That's great that you're having fun! That's what it's all about. :thumbsup

AND the contests with prizes. That's also part of the enjoyment!
A HUGE thank you to the sponsors!!

I would say it's more will-nilly because not everyone does it the same. But more specifically, there's no set protocol. :)

Last edited:
I feel ashamed... I didn't hatch one single chick this year. Lost one broody and the other hasn't been interested either... *shakes head in shame* I bought chicks instead. Wanted some colors in my egg cartons..

And no I will not hatch chicks now. Chicken math is out of control.. hubby said one 15.. I have almost twice that many now... hehehehe. I don't think he even tries anymore to keep the # at 15..
Welcome Mvan42! Come along for the ride.
You can tell your hubby that you know someone who wanted 5 chickens to free range around the yard. That person changed course and hatched until she had 200. That someone might be hosting the Halloween HAL.
denkend_smilie_0004.gif

He'll be so relieved he won't worry about you having 30. :p :gig:wee

Going to set these 22 eggs in a little bit (its 8:20? AM here, we are on central time). These are mostly Silkie mixes, hopefully will get some pure bred possibly. Could even possibly get Polish or Phoenix? The 5 bigger eggs are from a barred rock hen, but I don't know what they'd be mixed with?!
Curious to see what comes from these. (I pretty much already have most of these sold as mixed chicks, but we may consider keeping 2 or 3 if they turn out pretty...?)
View attachment 2861044
I just had a Silkie-Phoenix chick hatch from under my golden laced sebright hen and its adorable!! :love (pictured)
View attachment 2861040View attachment 2861041View attachment 2861042
Also, a good tip when setting eggs is to always candle the eggs beforehand to see any cracks or imperfections. 👍
View attachment 2861043
Very nice! And very cute! :jumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom