Bye Bye Bill

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by merrymutts, Jul 23, 2016.

1. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

Sadly we have decided that we must rehome Bill the Rooster...he refuses to quit bulliyng our older hens and it's gotten to the point where he won't let some have access to feed and more importantly in this hot weather...water.

I hate to do this but it's in the best interests of the rest of the flock. I found a farmer close by who was willing to take Bill off our hands. Perhaps Bill will get along better with HIS flock of hens.

We are setting an incubator of 10 Jubilee Orpingtons so I am sure that with a reasonable % of hatch we will get at least 1 Roo and the gals will "raise him right".

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Probably for the best. Good luck getting a more agreeable rooster out of the batch.

1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. The right rooster is wonderful, and the new JO's will be beautiful! Mary

4. merrymutts

Thanks...I hate to have to resort to rehoming Bill as he is a most HANDSOME rooster...but I just cannot have him trying to savage the older birds. His actions are not mating as was suggested...it's bullying pure and simple.

Looking forward to checking my JO's soon. We are on Day 4; in a couple more days we will candle them to see how many babies we got "cooking".

5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I wish you the best with your incubating!
    Jubilee Orpingtons are absolutely beautiful!

Sorry about Bill but it was for the best.

6. Turk Raphael

Turk Raphael Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    The Blue Grass State
    I suspect ol' Bill is far more agreeable now.

7. merrymutts

'fraid not...he is back in solitary until we can arrange for his re-homing. He had started right back in on bullying poor Ginger...to the point where she was cowering under the nest boxes in the coop.

8. Turk Raphael

Turk Raphael Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    The Blue Grass State
    Make a fine stew of bill!!! That will cure him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by