Bye bye boys

Killing the males is killing the males. I'd rather they were useful.

If they can use those partly-developed eggs in dog food, or chicken food, or something of the sort, they could still be useful. I don't see that taking them to hatching age, or raising them for meat, would be any more useful than using them as eggs. Even if the eggs cannot be used in animal food, I expect they could at least compost them (with other materials added) and end up with plant fertilizer.

But whether they CAN be used in any such a ways, and whether they WILL be used, is not stated in the article, and I don't have any easy way to find out.

Right. So I think it highlights that once again, the main motivator here is money. I don't think they would have put all the money into researching in developing this if they don't think they would make it back. They are essentially doing the same thing (killing the males), but in a way that will save hatcheries money. Hatcheries will pay to use this technology to save that money in the long run, and their PR will look good because it will seem like they are doing it for animal rights.

I'm all for animal rights, but tbh, this doesn't seem any better to me. When I've seen the videos of the chicks going into the shredder I think of how quick that must be. Do we know if the embryo suffers and feels pain as the blue light kills it? I doubt they will pay money to research that because the bird isn't cute and fluffy yet.

To me this just opens up a whole can of worms that does not need to be opened. It's one of those things that companies and countries are going to do to look good, but it's the same thing they have always done. ONLY benefit I see here is possibly driving down the cost of eggs. But the negatives are still unknown.
Chicks going in the shredder? :hit

I don't want to know any more...

What prevents hatcheries from selling male chicks to other facilities to be raised as meat birds? I think we can all agree that cheaper Chik-Fil-A would be a positive thing lol. I am sure there is some regulation that is standing in the way because government is about as efficient as a cat box in the bathtub just curious what it is.

Have you ever butchered a dual purpose cockerel?

A laying breed cockerel?

They're nothing like a Cornish X from the grocery store and take a lot more feed to raise a lot less meat.

If KFC sold you a chicken breast from a Barred Rock cockerel you'd demand your money back.

Have you ever butchered a dual purpose cockerel?

A laying breed cockerel?

They're nothing like a Cornish X from the grocery store and take a lot more feed to raise a lot less meat.

If KFC sold you a chicken breast from a Barred Rock cockerel you'd demand your money back.
:lau
That makes perfect sense! Still seems like a waste of meat to me but its obviously money over food that matters in industry. It also explains why its so hard to find a 4# or smaller roasting bird and the grocery store.

:lau
That makes perfect sense! Still seems like a waste of meat to me but its obviously money over food that matters in industry. It also explains why its so hard to find a 4# or smaller roasting bird and the grocery store.
Look for a Cornish game hen. They're cornishX pullets processed at around 3 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom