C.S.Lewis

I adore Lewis; Screwtape Letters and Surprised by Joy are my well worn book choices. I started reading the Narnia series to my children when they were very young. The cadence is like music in the writing. Even knowing the books well, once driving on vacation from San Diego to Carlsberg Canyon, I was reading aloud (their request) and we stopped to eat at an inexpensive family restaraunt. Having just read of Aslan's death, we wiped our red eyes, blew our noses and stopped off at the bathroom to compose ourselves with water and paper towels. A young employee came and asked if we were ok. My daughter wailed of her precious lion's death.

Employee, "Where do you LIVE?"

My son's response, " 's OK. He comes back alife. He always comes back alife. We read it somemores."

Talk about a puzzled look and hasty retreat!

Love C.S. Lewis. The Screwtape Letters in particular are amazingly deep. I need to check out Mere Christianity.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie was a huge disappointment in a way - they absolutely mutilated the plotline, worse than most movies.

Quote:
When I want to go to the movies, the first question I'm asked is, "have you read the book?" if I nod, suddenly everybody has other plans. I get a bit protective over the books, and if you ask anyone sitting next to me during the movie, I kinda get vocal. Don't mean too. But it annoys me so much when the whole purpose of me being there is because I liked what followed the title on neatly printed pages.

Quote:
If my copy of Mere Christianity wasn't in such poor condition, I'd send it to you. I didn't care for it. I haven't gotten to a copy of The Screwtape Letters, but I'll get there someday. I guess I just like my Christian stories as stories (aka LW&W and the trilogy).
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom