Cabbage Leaves

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nccountrygirl, Mar 3, 2008.

1. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    My DH cousin works in the produce section in one of our local grocery stores. Yesterday he gave me a large box of the outer leaves of cabbages. How often can my girls have these leaves. Thanks......Laura

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I wondered about that too. I have been giving one head of cabbage about wvery 8 days to my 6 girls. Hoping its not too much.
    Stacey

3. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    You can perhaps read the post just after this for more info. This is what I have:

Cabbage has been said to decrease fertility in eggs and s* production in the roosters, but have anyone paid close attention to this to actually put the theory to the test?

What is certain is that cabbage has goitrogen. The suppose to reduce hormone production.

Have anyone noticed change in fertility in eggs after feeding lots of cabbage to their chickens?

This info will greatly help me, you, and the pretty much everyone else!!!

Give me your results and I will map this out to figure out of its worth feeding our chickens cabbage during breeding season...shall we?

Thanks in Advance [​IMG]

- Tommy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by