Cabbage Treat --->> Now HUGE crop and hen sitting funny

Cream City Chick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
Milwaukee
Hi all,

I have two 7 month old Easter Egger hens. This afternoon I gave them a hanging cabbage as a treat for the first time ever. Needless to say - they pretty much devoured the cabbage. When I went to put them up for the night I noticed one of them seems very uncomfortable. Sitting on the roost (2x4) with wings out to her side and her crop is huge (at least the size of a softball). She is stretching her head up almost like its difficult for her to breath.

Not sure what I should do if anything. This is what I was thinking for the evening...

Bring her inside so I can monitor her and isolate her from her sister, give a few drops of water every so often to make sure the huge bulk of cabbage is staying moist to hopefully pass little by little.

What I thought about but didnt think its a good idea:
Trying to retrieve some of the cabbage through her mouth - like with a hemastat or forceps
Giving drops of olive oil
Massaging the crop

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I don't think a little olive oil would hurt, but maybe not so much cabbage next time? You need to make sure they are eating a healthy, balanced diet...not too many treats. I'll bet they had fun though! Probably feeling a bit like we do after Thanksgiving dinner!
sickbyc.gif
Wait until tomorrow morning and see if her crop is empty before you worry about massaging.

Poor girl!
th.gif
That is a lot of cabbage for two chickens! She seems to have over eaten and/or maybe swallowed pieces too large (no teeth so once it gets into their beak it goes down anyway) for her. I would do as you are. Massaging certainly can damage her crop. Just feel it by pressing (not too hard) to see if its fluid filled or just hard. I would not force any water down her as it may get aspirated and then she'll get pneumonia. If you are able to put one or two drops near the end of her beak and she then drinks it that is OK.

Does she have free access to grit? If so she may be able to digest it but the poor girl may be miserable until some goes down. Is there any chance she ate something other than the cabbage to make her crop so big? Is there any odor coming from her mouth? Do you hear any noise when she breathes? If so she may already be having some food/water backing into her lungs.

If her crop stays full in the morning then you may need to do something more drastic. If her crop is empty or nearly so in the morning be sure grit is available and no greens for awhile. Watch her crop for a week or two to be see if it goes back to normal size and not a permanent issue. Hope she improves quickly.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom