Cabinet style Inbubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msheets, Jul 15, 2010.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I'm building a cabinet style incubator & would like some opionions please. What would be better, using a dresser (any wood) or a refridgerater? What's the best for heating, lightbulbs or something else? What's good for adjusting the temp, a dimmer or will other things work? Does anyone know of good shelves/racks that can be bought or found easily? Any other advice would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just buy a Sportsman or a Dickey.

Tried, true and proven.

There is a gal here in AZ that had great luck with a dimmer switch and bulbs....

3. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    old fridges are well insulated and make great batots so i would vote fridge

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I guess the question to ask is, are you doing it for the pleasure of building something yourself and finding a way to make it work, or for budgetary reasons? Because if it's for the budget, I would buy a used cabinet incubator instead of trying to troubleshoot a homemade one...and possibly ruining lots of eggs in the process. What starts out as the cheaper way to go may not end up that way.

5. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Fridge would work, mine is a pepsi cooler that you would see in a supermarket. Got it for 25 bucks because the compressor didn't work. I was gutting the junk out anyway so I didn't care. And........it has a nice clear door to watch everything.

6. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i bought mine from a man who builds cabinets. its made out of three quarter inch advantec flooring. 4x8 sheets. and 2x4s. it has two gqf egg turners, a 6 inch fan ,two gqf thermostats, hatching trey at the bottom, its built alot like a sportsman. it also has a false wall in the back so the air from the fan pulls air up from the bottom and blows it out the top pass the heating wire heating strips from a old wall heater. air circulates top to bottom all the way around. i would post pics but i havent figured out how to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by