Cable TV vs Satellite TV

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by australorpchick, Nov 17, 2010.

1. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    We'll be moving to our new house sometime next month and we need to decide if we're going to go with Cable or Satellite.

I've only had one experience with satellite and it wasn't very good. However, it was a mountain cabin that belonged to my boss, so after it pooped out, no one was ever there to get it fixed. I don't want to base my decision on this one experience.

Would you mind sharing with me what you have and the pros and cons?

Thanks!

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Have you ever about about a third option and getting rid of the TV service?

TV service is expensive, it can fill our heads with crap ads that make us think we want things we don't need or really actually want.

TV is about the biggest time waster out there. Bad for our health too.

Yes there is some good stuff on it, but with the money saved from cutting the service you can rent or buy dvds on what you want to see without endurring comercials and be ahead both on time and money.

Our TV service has been canceled for about a year, one of the best decisions made.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Our satellite signal goes out in heavy rain and/or thunderstorms.

Steve

4. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    After many many years of cable I am going to try dish TV starting in January. I cannot imagine not watching the news or silly things like "The Walking Dead" or "Weeds" in the wintertime when the girls are asleep. I read and am a nice person in general, what's life without a little junk in your head? [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I've never had either a dish or cable. Cable isn't available where I live and I've never had the money for satellite......but I seriously doubt having it is any worse than having internet access.......anything can fill our heads with crap and be a time waster!!

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    LOL I still get my fair share of junk into my head, just decided to not get it from the TV thats all.

7. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I am trying satellite for the first time this weekend. My cable company gave me the runaround over the weekend so I decided that it was time for a change. If the quality is poor in rain, snow, etc... then I will be on the phone with them on a regular basis. If it weren't for a few things that I can't get streaming online then I'd have dropped TV completely and just watched what I wanted to watch on my Roku box.

8. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    I've had both satellite and cable. We decided to stick with cable. It seems the weather plays a big part in the satellite signal.

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's more my line of thinking. We have DVDs, and can buy/rent more, we can watch for FREE online... cartoon network for instance, but also sites like Hulu have shows and films as well. Friend has a Netflix account and it is SO worth it. $10 and you can order movies to be delivered (no going out in icky weather to return on time!) AND you can watch live stream... and that live stream is available on any puter that the 'owner' logs in on so we get to use their netflix for free... even at the same time that they're using it at their house, on multiple computers. Think this will be really cool if it's still around when the kids are off at college... pay for OUR netflix and the kids can log in and use it where they are... very cool.

And since we pay for DSL for our entertainment, email, not to mention HSing, DS's college school stuff... why NOT use that same device for movies/shows too? NO extra cost... just a bunch of free entertainment. And we can use that saved $30-50/month for something else.

Besides that, the TWC (the company my neighbors use) are out here at LEAST once a month... actually, they've been out once a week here lately!! Charge out the nose and it's not even dependable!!

But ignoring my opinions... my In Laws and SIL have cable... I think through AT&T, but not sure... they can't live without it. Mom and StepDad had a satellite when first married, converted to cable when they moved. It was a HUGE disk and the new backyard was just too tiny... seemed to be happy with it. Don't know anyone who's got one of those little dishes, so can't comment. Overall either can crap out, either takes time to fix, didn't really see a big difference in service between the two types. But I think I'd go with cable over dish simply because if a branch falls and breaks the dish it's on YOU, vs if there's a cable problem it's on the company.

10. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    We have rabbit ears, and get 11 local channels. Free, excluding the price of the digital converter box and antenna.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by