Cackle Hatchery Quality Question - Ducks

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
So I'm getting together some orders for the spring and I miss my Rouens from fifteen years ago and have decided I'm going to get some. I don't need exhibition stock, just birds heavy enough I don't need to worry about them flying anywhere. I've also always like Silver Appleyards. I see that Cackle has both and was curious if anyone has gotten these breeds from Cackle and were you pleased with the quality. If you have photos I'd love to see them, or recommendations for other places or breeders I could obtain them where you've had a good experience.

Healthy is good. And they looked correct for their breed? Again I’m not necessarily looking for exhibition quality, but I don’t want Rouens that are just Mallard, scaled up. lol From what I can gather, the Silver Appleyards should be pretty large also.

Healthy is good. And they looked correct for their breed? Again I’m not necessarily looking for exhibition quality, but I don’t want Rouens that are just Mallard, scaled up. lol From what I can gather, the Silver Appleyards should be pretty large also.
I don't know about their rouens (I thought they were just larger domesticated mallards), but I think mine were correct looking. We got rid of the tan ones and the pekin was the only one I showed at 4H, since my Swedish lost an eye to our rooster, but she did get grand in waterfowl so that's something.

I got some from a feed store back when I was a kid and loved them.

Rouen Ducks.jpg

These fatties couldn't get off the ground at all. In fact, one had a hard molt and dropped all her flight feathers and couldn't even get out of the pool. I found her and had to get her out and drain the pool until she grew them back in. I think I'll do it anyway. It's not like my Muscovy can't fly. Brats. Or the Call Ducks I'm waiting on.

I've gotten Rouens from Cackle and they can ''Fly-ish'' Mine could get about 2-3 Feet off the ground but would never get over the fence, Sadly I don't have photos

Back
Top Bottom