Cackle Hatchery Surprise! Now what in the heck are these??

WhistlePig

Chirping
Jan 14, 2023
Got my TWO, that's right, TWO Hatchery Surprise orders this week.

There are some really interesting breeds and of course so many that I'm not sure about. One such breed looks kind of familiar but I can't find any pictures online to verify.

I'll post some pics starting with the most mysterious one.

It is NOT an Egyptian Fayoumis as I first thought. I have two clear examples of those and they are distinctly different. I suspect this is a smaller breed but not sure if it's a bantam. I really want it to be a Golden Sebright but all the pics I've seen are lighter and have light chests. Ideas??

Attachments

• DSC06477.JPG
    DSC06477.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC06476.JPG
    DSC06476.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 9
It's a Golden Spangled Spitzhauben. The chick has a crest as evidenced by the fluffiness in front of the eyes, and the large arch of the nostrils is indicative of the V-comb gene that Spitzes have.
Ooh I missed the vaulted skull and nostrils! I eliminate the possibility of Sebright then!

It's a Golden Spangled Spitzhauben. The chick has a crest as evidenced by the fluffiness in front of the eyes, and the large arch of the nostrils is indicative of the V-comb gene that Spitzes have.
Thank you! Yes, you are definitely right. I also found I have a Chamois Spitzhauben. It didn't have the mohawk for a week!

Attachments

• DSC06719.JPG
    DSC06719.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 8
Okay, sorry I've been gone so long. I hope there is still interest in this thread!

I have been having so much fun figuring these chicks out and have leads on so many of them... but of course there are at least a few total mysteries.

I'm disappointed that a few of the breeds I really want to keep already have rooster tells but we're only a couple of weeks in so hopefully I'm wrong.

SOOOOO.... what are these?? DSC06779.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06780.JPG
    DSC06780.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC06773.JPG
    DSC06773.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC06774.JPG
    DSC06774.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC06771.JPG
    DSC06771.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06772.JPG
    DSC06772.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC06750.JPG
    DSC06750.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC06751.JPG
    DSC06751.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC06746.JPG
    DSC06746.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC06747.JPG
    DSC06747.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 3
If you can't tell, each chick is pictured twice. The first chick is really hard for me, it's not a wyandotte, I don't think, but may be gold laced. Its head has no wyandotte spots but a mahogany blush to its face. It also has a non single comb, not sure what kind.

The second, silvery chipmunk, is small but isn't obviously a bantam to me. Maybe an Old English something? I'm not familiar with those but any leads would be appreciated

Three is obviously a polish but has a light lavendar color to the body. The white polish chicks on Cackle's website are too yellow, this one is much lighter. It is also TINY and though active just doesn't seem to want to grow. I would assume a Splash Polish, but the wings are coming in entirely white, not speckles at all.

Four is one of my favorites. It's sweet and calm and built like a cochin. I am perplexed by the clean legs and lovely dappled grey color coming in.

The last one was similar to my Sicilian Buttercup in markings but cooler in color and just not the same. It's now silvery but not like any laced variety I've seen. I'll post more if there is any interest in this thread! :) thanks in advance.

1-Black Laced Red Wyandotte
2-many possibilities and likely silver duckwing. Whether it's a Standard Old English Game, Yokohama, or Phoenix is going to depend on comb type and eventually leg color. Can you get a clear comb picture now?
3-Buff Laced or White Polish. Sometimes it takes a bit for the buff to show up. You'll know once it's feathered
4-Silver Laced Orpington
5-What's the comb type? Either a Silver Lakenvelder or Silver Spangled Hamburg :)

1-Black Laced Red Wyandotte
2-many possibilities and likely silver duckwing. Whether it's a Standard Old English Game, Yokohama, or Phoenix is going to depend on comb type and eventually leg color. Can you get a clear comb picture now?
3-Buff Laced or White Polish. Sometimes it takes a bit for the buff to show up. You'll know once it's feathered
4-Silver Laced Orpington
5-What's the comb type? Either a Silver Lakenvelder or Silver Spangled Hamburg :)
1 - Dang, I was hoping it was something fantastic! I already have 2 of those. Ah well, I can take my pick this way.
2 - Here's a comb picture. Looks like a single. I hope it's a Phoenix!
4 - That's wonderful. I never thought to look at that one, assuming it would be like a wyandotte which this chick is not. It's interesting how similar looking adult birds have such different colorations as chicks.
5 - Single comb, here's a pic. I would be happy with either one of those! Thanks for replying, how helpful :)

Attachments

• DSC06785.JPG
    DSC06785.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC06787.JPG
    DSC06787.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom