Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I always go to www.feathersite.com and check out the poultry page! You have to look through all the different breeds (who doesn't love doing that, though?!), which will help with familiarization and breed identification. Good Luck with your chicks!

I also think it's very helpful to have a paper copy of the Cackle Hatchery catalog--it's handy to flip through the pages next to the brooder, and much faster than paging through their webpage to see pictures of the chicks.

Umm.... I got a 19lb! Surprise ... Omg what are they sending me??? My first package was only 6lbs and it had 57chicks......

Umm.... I got a 19lb! Surprise ... Omg what are they sending me??? My first package was only 6lbs and it had 57chicks......
My first package was 5lbs, 54 chicks, 2 ducks and a turkey. Shipped in a 2 compartment box.
My second package was 16lbs, 48 chicks, 2 ducks. Shipped in a 4 compartment box.

I take it the box weighs a lot more then. Ah well I didn't need a 100+birds anyways.... Even if I do want a pile. I'm already telling hubby I want to do this again next year lol.

My last shipment of regular birds was 5 lbs and had 2 turkeys, 11 spitzhauben, 6 ee, 18 cochin bantams, 1 NH Red and came in a two compartment box.

My biggest problem right now is that I got some ee chicks from TSC (Mt. Healthy) who had AE which spread and killed 60 chicks in my other brooders. Now all of my outdoor brooding facilities are infected/possibly infected and I have no place to put these chicks once they are a couple weeks old. One of my 14 week old pullets just died of it and she wasn't infected as a chick. It has destroyed my hatching egg and chick business! grrr...I can't find anyone who knows what to do about the situation. So on one hand I am excited for my surprise and on the other I cannot handle anymore dead chicks and am dreading the possibility of them getting infected. I set up some pens on the other side of my property and have chicks, teens, and breeding hens over there that are not/have not gotten infected so there is hope. Unfortunately it is too far away from the house for electricity.

Back
Top Bottom