Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Ooooo, what gorgeous chickens!
celebrate.gif

However, I think my chicks look more, I don't know what, maybe compressed is the word I want, than the chicks in the photos on the site. I'll see if I can get a better shot or two tomorrow. They have an odd upright stance.

Even with the passage of just a few days, the chicks that all looked alike are starting to become individuals or smaller groups of identical chicks.

Some of my chicks from my hatchery surprise. Ill try not to go Picture crazy, if you spot a breed you know please let me know! I cant decide on most. I should of taken pictures as I was taking them out of the box. Trying to get them to hold still for pics was interesting!

Jayzandra: Thanks! That helps a lot. I'll keep an eye on them as they grow.

SmallfarminWisc: Oh, what wee cuties!

I am so jealous of your duck(s) as well as the feather-legged chicks!

I see EEs galore (3 with the patterns in #7) and Barred Rocks (in Pic #4 with the White Cochin), and #5 looks like a Dark Brahma to me.

The yellow ones without much in the way of markings all look alike to me so I'm of no help. The dark ones without much in the way of markings all look alike to me so I'm of no help. The mottled ones without much in the way of markings all look alike to me so I'm of no help. (See a trend here?
idunno.gif
)

Most of the time, Spitzhauben's are NOT born with a 'poof', like Polish are. And as their crest grows, it starts as a tiny knob, and then gets taller and taller. Some Spitzhauben's have Polish in them, so sometimes their crest do NOT go forward, and instead, just looks like a mini version of the Polish'.

Jayzandra: Thanks! That helps a lot. I'll keep an eye on them as they grow.

SmallfarminWisc: Oh, what wee cuties!

I am so jealous of your duck(s) as well as the feather-legged chicks!

I see EEs galore (3 with the patterns in #7) and Barred Rocks (in Pic #4 with the White Cochin), and #5 looks like a Dark Brahma to me.

The yellow ones without much in the way of markings all look alike to me so I'm of no help. The dark ones without much in the way of markings all look alike to me so I'm of no help. The mottled ones without much in the way of markings all look alike to me so I'm of no help. (See a trend here?
idunno.gif
)
Thanks Liddy! I actually got 13! feathered legged chicks! I was checking them for pasty butt and moving them to a crate so I could clean the brooder so I picked them each up and took a picture. I posted in the breed and gender thread but not a lot of hits :(. I guess a lot of them will remain a surprise! I absolutely LOVE the ducks too but WOW everytime I go in there they are BIGGER! I cannot believe how much faster they grow then chicks.

I am going to make a list of every ones guesses so I can decide which ones I want to keep.
I do see the trend that happens to be my trend as well! SO many of them have similar markings! Some of the yellow ones have some color in their wings now that they are a week old. but let me tell you that really does not help me at all decided what they are. I am excited about the barred rocks! I think some of the feather legged might be barred too so YAY!

I love your turkey! I just scrolled back to see! :D I was hoping for turkeys but if it had to be turkeys or ducks I am glad I got ducks. I was REALLY hoping for them.

I would help you guess yours but...I would be very wrong on my guesses :D but I hope you are enjoying your babies!

All of the spitzenhaubens I have gotten from Cackle have been pretty uniform and their crests all went forward. I've also gotten several polish from them and I could always tell the difference.
Maybe you've had a different experience with cackle's Spitzenhaubens.

Last edited:
*scampers off to see SmallfarminWisc's "what are these little ones?" post*

I cleaned the brooders today, all the way down to bare wood, and took photos as I transferred the Littles back to their new digs. Having three levels and only two occupied is a luxury for me. I can set up the one level that's unoccupied, then empty an occupied level by moving them to the fresh set-up. The dirty digs get cleaned, and the second group moved in there. Then I take the third level down to bare wood, and leave it empty until setup for the next cleaning.

I photographed each chick before I put them in their new level.

I have, as best I can describe:

4 turkeys, three are yellow and one is now mostly gray

11 Barred Rocks

11 EE

3 Turken

2 yellow with striped wings and feathered legs

1 chick with dark stripes

8 chipmunks with heavy eyeliner, speckled striped wings and yellow legs (no puffy cheeks)

6 Polish, three dark brown, two very yellow, and one yellow with some gray markings

1 very small brown chick with a rich brown head and dark legs

5 grayish chicks with much lighter wings

2 light chicks with darker wings

Is it me or does this one's head look weird?

4 all yellow chicks without distinguishing marks

1 sweet little apricot chick with the tiniest wings

Back
Top Bottom