Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
an update on mine:

I lost one of the polish and 2 turkeys a couple of days ago. They were doing fine, and then the next morning when I went out to check on them, they were dead.
sad.png
I've been wondering how cackle will handle it if there's a 'big' loss. I'm sure they won't do anything for a few losses but if there's significant loss if they try to replace them? Hopefully we won't have to find out. One of our bantams (he was really, really, really tiny) from TSC did the same thing. He was perfectly fine and then a couple of hours later he just died. (It was the first time I had let one of the kids check on them before I did.) Have you seperated any of them? I'm wondering if we're going to have to set up a couple of different brooders?

sad.png
I've been wondering how cackle will handle it if there's a 'big' loss. I'm sure they won't do anything for a few losses but if there's significant loss if they try to replace them? Hopefully we won't have to find out. One of our bantams (he was really, really, really tiny) from TSC did the same thing. He was perfectly fine and then a couple of hours later he just died. (It was the first time I had let one of the kids check on them before I did.) Have you seperated any of them? I'm wondering if we're going to have to set up a couple of different brooders?
I have all the chicks in one brooder, the turkeys in another and the ducks in a third. There are a few chicks with poopy-butts so they are in with the turkeys, mostly because it's easier to find them to check on them that way. The turkeys seem pretty mellow, and they are pretty nice to the smaller chicks.

The turkeys and ducks eat a different food than the chicks, so that's why they were separated in the first place.

I have all the chicks in one brooder, the turkeys in another and the ducks in a third. There are a few chicks with poopy-butts so they are in with the turkeys, mostly because it's easier to find them to check on them that way. The turkeys seem pretty mellow, and they are pretty nice to the smaller chicks.

The turkeys and ducks eat a different food than the chicks, so that's why they were separated in the first place.
I need to check our feed again. I think it said we could use it for the ducks and turkey too. I don't know what I've gotten us into...lol

I don't think ducks and geese should be fed medicated feed--I don't know about turkeys.

My brooder is big enough that I plan to separate different species before moving them into separate grow out pens (for the birds we keep that long, since I suspect we will sell off several birds).

SewChaos--and more luck IDing the chicks? Can we get an update on what you think you got?
Sorry to hear about the lost turkey poults--they are definitely more delicate than chicks.

SlipsWife, I haven't. I wish they sent a tracking number or something. I'm so nervous abt it.

I don't think ducks and geese should be fed medicated feed--I don't know about turkeys.

My brooder is big enough that I plan to separate different species before moving them into separate grow out pens (for the birds we keep that long, since I suspect we will sell off several birds).

SewChaos--and more luck IDing the chicks? Can we get an update on what you think you got?
Sorry to hear about the lost turkey poults--they are definitely more delicate than chicks.
No more luck id'ing the chicks. When they grow out a bit more it might be easier to tell what I've got. :)

Back
Top Bottom