Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
I thought I would offer an update from our surprise! :) They were hatched March 20, 2013. We've been over all happy with them. I sold most of our surprise when the chicks were still pretty young, out of the 13 we kept we have 2 that are definite roosters but feel as though the others are all pullets. There might be a sneaky roo or two but even if there is they all seem to be doing great. We have 2 White Giants, 2 Partridge, 2 Turkens, 2 Silver Laced Polish (1 roo), 2 Golden Laced Polish (1 roo), 2 German Spitzhauben (I thought they were Polish Splashes but after looking a their website I'm pretty sure they are the German Spitzhauben! lol) and 1 Buttercup. The Polish are VERY 'dainty' and scrawny to me compared to the other guys but from what I can tell, it's their breed. :) The roosters are both pretty calm as far as roosters go. The Golden Laced Polish roo is very handsome and likes to talk. :) Actually, all of our chickens are pretty vocal and like to 'chat' with us when we are outside. The Partridge girls are like pets, love them! (I never would have thought I'd say that about chickens! lol) Our Buttercup is 'wild' and wants very little to do with us. Half the time we forget we have her unless we actually see her. She's crazy fast and just a little larger than our bantams but she is beautiful. Our turkens are also very pet like and I wish we would have gotten more than 2 of them! No one is laying yet but they seem to be maturing faster than our two red sex-links that are a month older (we FINALLY got an egg from one of the red girls on the 15th and 3 days later still nothing else...) I have a few pictures to share. :)

We do not need anymore chickens (we have a total of 19 right now) but I think we might order the surprise again next year because it was so much fun! It will be hard trying to decide who to keep and who to sell though! :)

Last edited:
Very pretty!

Mine are growing like weeds. We moved them out to the new chicken coop this week. They are happy with their 5' x 6' run in the house. All 40 are alive and well. Today, one of the Polish was hanging upside down on the chicken wire above them when I was giving them their water. It tried to fly up to me and grabbed the chicken wire, and hung on for a few seconds before it let go. So cute! Ty are happy to be stretching their wings.

I would LOVE to see what people get in the surprise package in July and August. The only poultry Cackle sells in July and August besides chickens are guineas, peacocks, pheasant, and quail. Has anybody gotten this in July or August? Folks seem to rarely get guineas, and then only very few. I heard of a man once who got nothing in his box but five peafowl --I think it was five. I do remember he sold them for ten times what he paid, though. I don't think anybody's gotten pheasants or quail. Do any of you know?

I have a gift certificate for cackle and have been thinking about ordering d'unccles, Cornish, and naked necks. But this seems like a better deal!!!! What is the likely hood of getting naked necks and Cornish? And has anyone asked for no water fowl? I can't have ducks, geese, or turkeys....

You don't have to worry about ducks, turkeys, or geese this late in the year, you can't get them if you want. If you ask for meat chickens you will probably get some. I know others have. I don't know about getting turkens though. You would definitely get some cornish or red broilers if you ask for meat chickens though.

If there is something you REALLY want, I would recommend calling in your order, and see if you could buy 5-or-so of what you want to be put in with the Surprise.

I did get 2 turkens in my surprise. I thought I got 8 red broilers, but they seem to have turned into Cherry Eggers (and all pullets).
I was really hoping for some Dark Cornish, but no luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom