Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Snuvy --- I had an awesome variety with my original Surprise. (50 total, 2 turkeys and a duck, the remainder large chicks) I added the request that I wanted 'egg laying chickens' when I ordered. Now that they are half grown, I only have a couple roosters or breeds that are sexed. I got 8 polish and have two roo's (Paulie and Petey) and a golden laced pullet (we originally guess a boy so her name is Elvis). 5 of the polish I have away or sold. Also got two wonderful turkeys (Tom and Marshmellow) and a wild duck we originally thought to be a gosling. Ben, a brown leghorn male is too pretty he is almost surreal.

the word used in the voice mail 'had a shortage' and 'had to move out a lot of orders'

I guess it was me adding the 'hatch issue' to that verbiage

Aww man, I knew I should have waited, and asked for a later ship date. I figured there might have been an issue because the previous week they only had one shipment (due to July 4th) so this is the first shipment after that week. (So basically they had to ship almost two orders worth of stuff this past Monday since they lost out a day last week-->or at least that's my conspiracy theory). C'mon chicken luck, give me a good variety (and more females than males)! *(Basically I feel that if I keep asking the universe enough times, over and over, that I will get what I want haha).

So excited, they should be arriving tomorrow (I hope!).

Last edited:
I so wish I could justify another surprise...... Ah well maybe later this year after I finish cutting back my polish. Lol it's not like I don't have chicks in my bathroom right now as I just got 4sizzles and 4 marans locally.

the word used in the voice mail 'had a shortage' and 'had to move out a lot of orders'

I guess it was me adding the 'hatch issue' to that verbiage

Well, they aren't going to tell you "we ran out just before yours, and yours was the only one, so too bad for you" :) Saying "shortage" and "lots of orders got moved out" makes you not feel too bad :)

I got 16 polish chicks in my last surprise.... Once I know who is roosters I can sell/give away/ barter them off and keep the hens. Because I know my hubby loves me but I'd be pushing my luck horribly if I kept hundreds of birds lol even if I secretly want to lol. My plan is to cut back my numbers so I have room for more :) . Once this years babies are good and laying I'm going to also sell off some of my older mutt chickens.

I got 16 polish chicks in my last surprise.... Once I know who is roosters I can sell/give away/ barter them off and keep the hens. Because I know my hubby loves me but I'd be pushing my luck horribly if I kept hundreds of birds lol even if I secretly want to lol. My plan is to cut back my numbers so I have room for more
smile.png
. Once this years babies are good and laying I'm going to also sell off some of my older mutt chickens.

Ooh 16 polish, that's pretty nice. Oh okay, I thought you were going to process them (or something like that), and was curious about your method(s).

Nah.... I haven't yet gotten around to processing our birds, though it has been discussed for next year as I explained to the hubby if we do 26 in the spring and 26 in the fall that's homegrown chicken once a week for a year. But I'm not yet sure I'm ready for killing and cleaning my own birds. Let's see how I handle these two turkeys first lol.

Nah.... I haven't yet gotten around to processing our birds, though it has been discussed for next year as I explained to the hubby if we do 26 in the spring and 26 in the fall that's homegrown chicken once a week for a year. But I'm not yet sure I'm ready for killing and cleaning my own birds. Let's see how I handle these two turkeys first lol.

I feel the same way, especially since all the chicks will be raised as pets! You let me know how it goes, and how much crying happens, and then I'll decide XD haha

Back
Top Bottom