Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

I'm definitely getting this in the spring. Can somebody tell me how the rooster and hen ratio is? And what they got?
If you have some time to browse the thread, a lot of people have posted what they got. Most report getting a good ratio of pullets to cockerels (one or two females to a male of each breed). I have seen some pretty rare breeds, and most boxes seem to include a pair or so of waterfowl, with occasional turkeys, guineas, etc. Some people do get all chickens, though. It really is a surprise, but they seem to include a big variety in each box and most people are happy with what they get. I am so tempted to get one this year even though I am trying to refine my flocks and stick with just a few favored breeds.

If you have some time to browse the thread, a lot of people have posted what they got. Most report getting a good ratio of pullets to cockerels (one or two females to a male of each breed). I have seen some pretty rare breeds, and most boxes seem to include a pair or so of waterfowl, with occasional turkeys, guineas, etc. Some people do get all chickens, though. It really is a surprise, but they seem to include a big variety in each box and most people are happy with what they get. I am so tempted to get one this year even though I am trying to refine my flocks and stick with just a few favored breeds.
I'll definitely check it out, I'll probably sell all the chickens I don't want and then get another one lol.

My name is Liddy and I am a poultry addict...

This thread is far too appealing. Those pix are far too cute.

I had just decided to raise EEs and Wellies starting this summer and came up with 6 required coops/brooders for that endeavor. Now I have to rethink everything. Can I fit accomodations for at least one of these collections into those plans???

There s nothing better than surprise box from cackle. I love murray hatchery too but they were sold out last year so I went with cackle and got 55 chicks and 2 turkey's ! Only one chick died which is amazing survival to me cause usually a couple die from any shipment. The variety was amazing and the birds grew out really good too . My buff orp was bigger than the one I got from Murray the year before at six months old. Again I love murray I always will. But now I love cackle too

. My Phoenix bantam rooster from cackle surprise. He's a beauty isn't he

And one more thing. You can tell them not to send ducks or geese. I didn't want to mix my chickens with ducks and geese. But I love my blue slate turkeys I got

I'm definitely getting this in the spring. Can somebody tell me how the rooster and hen ratio is? And what they got?
I ended up with 16 roos out of a total of 52 chicks and one of each for my Pekin ducks. I posted some pictures in July of the surprise I got back in May. I have been very happy with everything about this order. I even got a pair of blue sumatra, a pair of siver phoenix and a trio of Egypitan fayoumi. My egg basket is very colorful.l

Last edited:
I ended up with 16 roos out of a total of 52 chicks and one of each for my Pekin ducks. I posted some pictures in July of the surprise I got back in May. I have been very happy with everything about this order. I even got a pair of blue sumatra, a pair of siver phoenix and a trio of Egypitan fayoumi.  My egg basket is very colorful.l
That's a really good ration and I'm definitely getting this!

Back
Top Bottom