Cage for coturnix quail

Quailz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
I would like some opinions on whether or not this cage will be able to keep out small predators (racoons and cats, but no snakes).
I want to put my coturnix in it, but am not sure whether it is safe.

The name of the cage is Midwest 1524 iCrate Single-Door Pet Crate 24-By-18 -By-19-Inch. You can find it on amazon.
Here are some pictures -

th

th

All opinions are appreciated!
Thanks.

I don't think it would be the best option. From what I can gather if a cat or racoon can can get its paw in then it can kill them (yanking heads through). If it was covered in very small wire or hardware cloth then I guess it would be fine :)

Just my opinion though

That would not be adequate to keep out small predators. In another thread, you asked for assistance with coturnix quail. In that thread, I suggested the size wire that should be used for a cage. In another thread, you opposed somebody elses suggestion to use a rabbit cage and instead suggested using wire storage cubes. For what it's worth, a rabbit cage is ideal for a few quail. If you won't take anyones advice about a "cage", what are you going to do when your chicks start dying? Please don't think I'm trying to bully you; my concern is the health and well being of your quail.
James

I agree with James. A rabbit hutch would be your best bet for you and your quail.

Qlicer, I like that. I've seen a diagram for something similar to that in the chicken forum. It provides cover from the elements and protection from predators. Somebody with the basic carpentry skills can build this in an afternoon. And it's portable. Nice!

Here is a quail tractor that I put my quail in while I clean out their cages. I'm not a skilled carpenter by any means, but this only took me a few hours to complete. Sometimes, I'll place a container lid upside down and fill it with water so my hens can splash around in, or I'll fill that some lid with sand and let them dust themselves.

Since I keep my quail cages in my garage, I've considered buying several of these kits and stacking them 3 or 4 high, but at $49 each, with the right supplies, I could build it myself for much less. Now, if money were no object, I would buy one of these.
James

Qlicer, I like that. I've seen a diagram for something similar to that in the chicken forum. It provides cover from the elements and protection from predators. Somebody with the basic carpentry skills can build this in an afternoon. And it's portable. Nice! Here is a quail tractor that I put my quail in while I clean out their cages. I'm not a skilled carpenter by any means, but this only took me a few hours to complete. Sometimes, I'll place a container lid upside down and fill it with water so my hens can splash around in, or I'll fill that some lid with sand and let them dust themselves. Since I keep my quail cages in my garage, I've considered buying several of these kits and stacking them 3 or 4 high, but at $49 each, with the right supplies, I could build it myself for much less. Now, if money were no object, I would buy one of these. James
I like that design James, I'm making a bigger one for a project at school for my valleys 8x4x4

One thing you don't see are 2 wheels mounted along the bottom of the right side of the tractor. I can pick it up and move it from place to place, like they do the bigger chicken tractors.

x2 on the gaps being too big - even without predators I could see a nasty accident with a head getting stuck.

Back
Top Bottom