Cage Size for jumbo Coturnix breeders? Please give me some answers.

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
If the cage width is around 50cm (1ft 8in) , how long should it be (minimum) for 4 jumbo hens & a cock kept in a layer style cage?

Last edited:
a good rule of thumb is 1 sq ft per bird or about 23 cm square. Now in the breeder colony your suggesting you can push those limits a bit and they should do fine--- so long as the sex ratio is right (as your plan is it will work) I have breeder banks that are 2 ft square and routinely keep 1:4 or 1:5 coturnix groups in them with no difficulties what so ever.

Thanks! I have a set width to work with though as I have a certain area where the cages need to be. That's why I didn't want a square footage answer. That & the fact that as soon as someone says the word square, my brain shuts down.
So for a simple answer for a simple gal, if each cage is 1ft 8in wide, how long should it be for 4 hens & a roo? Just over 2 feet?
ETA. Also what is a good cage height for jumbos? These weigh 420 grams on average.

Last edited:
1ft 8in wide --- go 3ft long and you'll have a lil spare room. hieght should be controlled to help avoid bird injury from flushing and bouncing off the roof of the pen--- 12 to 16 inches high is more than sufficient--- too high and they can build up enough force when they flush to injure or kill themselves, so shorter is better with these guys.

Back
Top Bottom