cage wire question for coturnix

Ya'll are awesome... it's like you sit around just waiting to help me out!
lau.gif

New question:

I want to keep a roo and a few hens and hatch out a dozen eggs about every 2 weeks. How long should I brood the chicks in the garage with a heat lamp before moving them to cages outside? How many cages do I need (and what size?) to house each of the batches of chicks til they are old enough to process? I'm thinking 1 for the breeders, and 2 or 3 more for growing the chicks.

There are some nice stacking cages I am thinking of, but because of the racoon issue I might just keep them in the garage. Would this be an unbelievably stinky idea? We don't use the garage for anything but storing tools and brooding chicks.

If it's warm outside (70+) you only need to give them a heat light for about 3 weeks. But you have to make sure they are kept somewhere that they won't get wet until at least 6 weeks cause they'll get chilled pretty fast.

If you're wanting to hatch every 2 weeks and process at 10 weeks (average) you'd need at least 3 pens for grow out, 1 for the breeders, and 2 brooders
smile.png

ETA: The stacking cages should have pans so they won't stink too bad. Use pine pelleted bedding or shavings and sprinkle some sweet PDZ in the pan to help with the smell.

Last edited:
How old do they have to be before they can be put in cages with 1"x2" wire sides? (That is if I have it in the garage so no racoons can grab them.)

Quote:
What is sweet PDZ?
hu.gif

Sweet PDZ is a product made by the Manna Pro company that absorbs and neutralizes ammonia in the droppings
smile.png
Works great in brooders too, plus it's safe if the birds decide to eat it.

Quote:
coturnix at least 4 week , also brood until 4 weeks ,yes can be remove early , but remember any food going to help keep their body warm, could be going into meat.

Little more work keeping inside, more cleaning to keep stink down, but sure alot safer for the birds..............telling you raccoons love quail ,even it just the legs.

You are all such a wealth of information!!

What size cages should I get to grow out batches of 12 eggs that I hatch? When not using shipped eggs and using a good incubator and proper proceedure, are we looking at probably 10 chicks hatching per 12? I'm assuming 24"x24" would be too small... would 30"x36" be neccessary?

Back
Top Bottom