cage wire question for coturnix

Chickhick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2010
North Alabama
I am planning on buying some cages for my coturnix for when they grow up a little. The cages I'm thinking of have 2"x1" wire for the sides and 1"x1/2" for the bottom. Would this be appropriate for Coturnix quail?

I use 1/2 inch wire on all my pens, raccoons can grab your bird's legs and pull down on them. I suggest 1/2 inch wire. I learn't the hard way with 1/2 by 1 inch...

Quote:
yes the poop will fall through hahhahahahahahahahha
lol.png

My cages all used 1" x 1/2" wire for the bottoms, it works fine. I would cover the sides though, several predators could get through 1" x 2" wire.

Rather than putting 1/2" wire on the bottom you can put a piece of plywood or something in part of it for them to sleep on. They really should have something solid to rest their feet with anyway.

The cage my quail are in now has 2/3 of the floor as solid wood and that's where they are all the time unless they are eating. (I have their feeders and waterer on the wire to prevent messes from spills).

You have to clean the wood, and 1/2x1 coons can stick a paw through. They can still get the ones on the wire. Even with half inch they can. I put welded wire around the legs.

I use 1/2 x 1/2 on botton of all my pens , 1/2 x 1 for sides........1x2 good way to lose alot...any predator can reach thru and grab them, plus birds need to be older to place in those pens too.

Quote:
It's not like cleaning the wood is difficult and they apparently would rather be on solid flooring. I've never lost anything to raccoons...about the only thing the dogs are good for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom