I need some advice on quail

Aug 1, 2023
I am going to be hatching some Japanese (coturnix) quail, and I need to know what is the minimum amount of protein they need in their diet? My mom said she would buy quail food, but now she is saying she will give them chicken food instead. She says she will only buy quail food if I can get it for $20 or less for 50 pounds of food, but the cheapest I can find it for is $25. Does anyone know if they have cheap chicken food that also has the right nutrients for young quail?

Your chicks need 28-20% protein. You can get away with turkey starter if you can't find game bird starter.

Adults (10-12 weeks+) can get away with 20-24% protein feed. There are people who feed them chicken layer feed and they will survive, but they may not live as long and are less likely to produce healthy chicks from their eggs.

Where are you located? If in Texas, the 28% starter feed that I use from Golden Oak milling is typically right around the $20 mark for 50 pounds. They also have a 24% that I use when the birds reach adulthood. I don't think they have any distributors outside of Texas, though. I'll post a link to the feed I use. You could probably call around to some of the local feed stores (not Tractor Supply) to see if they have something equivalent.

https://www.goldenoakmilling.com/golden-oak-game-bird-starter-28/

I concur with @Nabiki (as I find myself doing frequently). Your birds may survive on chicken feed, but they probably won't thrive. I think she meant her first line to read "Your chicks need 28 - 30% protein."

Your chicks need 28-20% protein. You can get away with turkey starter if you can't find game bird starter.

Adults (10-12 weeks+) can get away with 20-24% protein feed. There are people who feed them chicken layer feed and they will survive, but they may not live as long and are less likely to produce healthy chicks from their eggs.
Thanks for the advice! I will find something that works, going to the store soon and the quail should hatch in a couple weeks 😁

Where are you located? If in Texas, the 28% starter feed that I use from Golden Oak milling is typically right around the $20 mark for 50 pounds. They also have a 24% that I use when the birds reach adulthood. I don't think they have any distributors outside of Texas, though. I'll post a link to the feed I use. You could probably call around to some of the local feed stores (not Tractor Supply) to see if they have something equivalent.

https://www.goldenoakmilling.com/golden-oak-game-bird-starter-28/

I concur with @Nabiki (as I find myself doing frequently). Your birds may survive on chicken feed, but they probably won't thrive. I think she meant her first line to read "Your chicks need 28 - 30% protein."
Yea, I figured.

I live in a small town in Ohio, about an hour away from Columbus.

Yea, I figured.

I live in a small town in Ohio, about an hour away from Columbus.
Beings you're in Ohio check into Kalmbach feeds it's an Ohio based company. They have good feed try their Turkey Gamebird starter 28% for your hatchlings for first 6 to 10 weeks. As gamebirds require higher protein/methionine/lysine than chickens especially as hatchlings.
1712021673045.png

I am going to be hatching some Japanese (coturnix) quail, and I need to know what is the minimum amount of protein they need in their diet? My mom said she would buy quail food, but now she is saying she will give them chicken food instead. She says she will only buy quail food if I can get it for $20 or less for 50 pounds of food, but the cheapest I can find it for is $25. Does anyone know if they have cheap chicken food that also has the right nutrients for young quail?
While the above is best advice with kalmbach being my favorite, I have raised quail using meatbird feed.

Back
Top Bottom