cage wire question for coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chickhick, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I am planning on buying some cages for my coturnix for when they grow up a little. The cages I'm thinking of have 2"x1" wire for the sides and 1"x1/2" for the bottom. Would this be appropriate for Coturnix quail?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I use 1/2 inch wire on all my pens, raccoons can grab your bird's legs and pull down on them. I suggest 1/2 inch wire. I learn't the hard way with 1/2 by 1 inch...

3. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Okay, so should the sides and bottom all be with 1/2"x1/2" wire? Will the poop fall through?

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yes the poop will fall through hahhahahahahahahahha [​IMG]

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yes, the poop will fall through, unless it gets really cold. Then it freezes on contact.[​IMG]

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:haha you beat me by a second [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My cages all used 1" x 1/2" wire for the bottoms, it works fine. I would cover the sides though, several predators could get through 1" x 2" wire.

Rather than putting 1/2" wire on the bottom you can put a piece of plywood or something in part of it for them to sleep on. They really should have something solid to rest their feet with anyway.

The cage my quail are in now has 2/3 of the floor as solid wood and that's where they are all the time unless they are eating. (I have their feeders and waterer on the wire to prevent messes from spills).

8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You have to clean the wood, and 1/2x1 coons can stick a paw through. They can still get the ones on the wire. Even with half inch they can. I put welded wire around the legs.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I use 1/2 x 1/2 on botton of all my pens , 1/2 x 1 for sides........1x2 good way to lose alot...any predator can reach thru and grab them, plus birds need to be older to place in those pens too.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:It's not like cleaning the wood is difficult and they apparently would rather be on solid flooring. I've never lost anything to raccoons...about the only thing the dogs are good for.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by