1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

calcium alginate dressing....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by griffinheather, Aug 16, 2011.

1. griffinheather

griffinheather Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    My female mallard (3-4 months old) was recently attacked by some stray dogs that squeezed in the yard b/t the slats in my privacy fence. She has a deep puncture wound on her chest. I cleaned the wound w/ providone, apply a generous amount of antibiotic ointment and packed the hole w/ the calcium alginate dressing. The thing is, I don't know how often or if I even should try to remove the packing material from the wound and clean it. The dressing has dried to the wound and I know it would be painful to remove. There is no drainage or odor. She's moving around in the box that I have her in, is aware of her surroundings, drinks water (that I put some enfant vitamins in) and is pooping (though it's very watery). Any thoughts would be welcome!!!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by