Calcium coated egg followed with soft shelled egg

DarlingFarmGirl

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
My French Blue copper maran began laying back in May. All of May and June, she laid beautiful eggs, probably about 5 times a week. All of July however, she has begun laying an egg for consumption or incubation, only about once a week. The others are calcium coated and soft shelled, and are typically laid on the same day, and outside of the laying box. I'll find them in the coop on the floor in the morning.

My question is, is this possibly due to the heat or perhaps she needs a deworming? Or does she have a defective shell gland? If it's a defective gland, would she have laid "'normal" eggs for 2 months? Would she continue to lay a normal egg on occasion?

My French Blue copper maran began laying back in May. All of May and June, she laid beautiful eggs, probably about 5 times a week. All of July however, she has begun laying an egg for consumption or incubation, only about once a week. The others are calcium coated and soft shelled, and are typically laid on the same day, and outside of the laying box. I'll find them in the coop on the floor in the morning.

My question is, is this possibly due to the heat or perhaps she needs a deworming? Or does she have a defective shell gland? If it's a defective gland, would she have laid "'normal" eggs for 2 months? Would she continue to lay a normal egg on occasion?
What does the bolded mean?

It could be the heat, she could be ill, there could be some stress that is causing a malfunction in her system, could be nutritional, lots of reasons.
Is she 6 months to a year old then?
Do you have other birds and are they laying normally?

Not sure why anything posted in bold lol
None are ill as far as I can tell. I do need to deworm them, but other than that, she's the only one laying that way.

Could worms possibly cause that?

She is 8 months old and was laying normally up until July. She only occasionally puts out a "normal" egg.

I bolded part of your post: she has begun laying an egg for consumption or incubation,
It didn't make sense to me.

Worms would probably not cause bad eggs and usually if one bird has worms they all do.
I do not worm unless there is absolute proof that they have them, a fecal exam by a vet is need to determine that.
Worming without cause can create resistant parasites.

If only one bird is laying 'bad' eggs, then it could be a specific genetic anomaly or nutritional uptake issue.

Worms will decrease egg production but not cause shelless eggs. The lack of eggs is likely the heat we;re having and I'd chalk up the few shelless eggs to her being young still. I'd not worry and let her work it out. Break the rubbery eggs on the ground and the birds will gobble them up. I wont promote egg eating, I toss overly dirty or cracked eggs on the ground to break open all the time.

Let me clarify the wording. She'll only lay one "good" egg, about once a week now. The rest of the week is as follows-- 2 days NO EGG, then one sometimes 2 eggs the following day. One will be calcium coated, the other "soft". Not shell-less, but soft enough where you can dent it by pressing lightly. I wormed them all 3 days ago, because I'd seen roundworms a
Few weeks ago, but didn't know who had them. No one else has egg laying issues.

So after the 2 funky eggs, she'll either lay another good egg (nice shell, color and actually in the laying box), OR she'll skip another day, and repeat the 2 bad eggs.

Only thing I can think of is she has a defect in her reproductive organs, though I'm not sure why she started laying perfectly for 2 months, then abruptly stopped.

One of my chickens suddenly started laying soft shelled eggs in the summer. When the heat went away the shells were hard again. This could be similar in which case you just have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom