calcium for quail?

When a bird gets too little calcuium they will draw the calcium from thier bones and body and such can be bad for the hen after a few eggs as it will suck her down. but that is possibly why they look glassy, if not is simply being the beginning of the season or first time layers just opening up the egg factory store. Still, Its better to provide them with calcium during the laying season if its not already in thier diet. Some feed-pellets have calcium and grit in it just for that reason (the grit to help the grind and digest) (the cal to supplement during laying season). Thus "chicken layer ration" with high protien for game birds.
But as JJ... and many other BYC'rs will tell you other natural foods will have calcium in them as well.

To the prior quesion in relation to oyster shell.... calcium is rather brittle and that thin shell (even if thicker) I doubt that extra cal will make the shell too hard for the chick to pip and zip/hatch out. The hen is responsable for the egg shell production and will usually produce an egg of a certain variance of consistancy in shell thickness.

With the extra cal, you will/might start seeing a small (1-10) number of egg shell bumps (smaller than a grain of salt) thus no longer smooth. Still, even though Egg shells are made up of calcium and other fun 2 dollar words, the shell thickness is more dependent on the hen and not the "excessive" intake of cal.. too little cal would be the larger worry.

Now I am not saying the shell might be a little more thicker with the extra cal, but if the hen was sucking the cal from her body and now OD-ing on oyster shell, it might be a little thicker as the hen is gettting her needed cal to produce a standard egg (bumps or not).

Bumpy shells suggest they can scratch at the intestinal walls as the egg passes...but keep in mind that the egg (internally) is usually kind of soft/pliable until it passes out; it dries and hardens after its exposed to air. besides its got that poopy lub on it as it passes.

Well thats about all I know (or think I know) about the shell, hope it helps.
Very informative! Thank you!
Yes, I have noticed a few calcium bumps but nothing excessive. We see this from time to time with our chickens. Thanks for addressing the concerns about thick shells. I’ve had such bad luck learning how to hatch I overthink everything. :)

Very informative! Thank you!
Yes, I have noticed a few calcium bumps but nothing excessive. We see this from time to time with our chickens. Thanks for addressing the concerns about thick shells. I’ve had such bad luck learning how to hatch I overthink everything. :)

Lol. Its sometimes a good thing to overthink! I do as well.:hugs
probably the whole reason I cannot give a short answer or do offer a confusing pro con opinion.

yea I'm not sure how the birds know they have enough or what gives them calcium (it's not like we can taste calcium and therefore we would drink milk, eat kale, etc) but you know your birds have good calcium whenyou see them laying and laying good eggs.

i use layer feed, or in the case of quail, layer crumbles. i don't supplement anything else.

just be sure to provide other food for the birds that don't need it as much, such as the males.

What about straight up powder calcium for reptiles from the pet store? No need for added D3 (you can purchase it with or without), but calcium that you could shake up with their food to coat it?

Anyone ever do that?
idunno.gif
This is my question also I have three quails and I have a Leopard Gecko and a leopard gecko has a powdered calcium and I want to know if I can give that powdered calcium to the quails

Back
Top Bottom