calcium for quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Aug 12, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    How do you get more calcium into quail? some of my coturnix have started laying soft eggs, but oystershell is too big isnt it?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If it is the "Pullet Sized" oyster shell, you will need to crush it down to smaller pieces. You can also offer cuttle bone for more calcium. I have heard that Collard Greens and Kale are high in calcium. [​IMG]

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

those greens are definitely high in calcium . i give my adult Coturnix the standard oyster shell w/o a problem...also you can save ,cook,dry and crush your quail egg shells and feed them back to your birds...

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If Fed A Good Gbs They Absorb All The Calcium They Need From The Feed And Supplimenting Is Un-necessary. However It Never Hurts And Many Seem To Enjoy It. Personally I Dont Get Crushed Oyster Shell, I Get Oyster Grit... Yep Oyster Shells Crushed To The Size Of Chick Grit... Kills 2 Birds With 1 Stone [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Dandelions are high in calcium. I throw leaves in the pen for them from time to time, but I also crush oyster shell for them.

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    What about straight up powder calcium for reptiles from the pet store? No need for added D3 (you can purchase it with or without), but calcium that you could shake up with their food to coat it?

Anyone ever do that? [​IMG]

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I use cuttlebone, like what the use for finches, i buy them in bulk off ebay.

8. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    There's calcium in DE as well.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:0.0013%... DUNNO AS I WOULD CONSIDER THAT A SOURCE OF DIETARY SUPPLIMENTAL CALCIUM?

10. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    Quote:mmm. the way my birds throw it around it would be way expensive i think...

I will look and see if i can find oyster grit... or if that fails maybe i'll try the cuttle bone route..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by