Calf update

HuestisFarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Fly Creek, NY
Well, I figured since I posted pics of our calves when they were younger, I should give you an update on them. Those that we've kept having gotten quite big. I didn't get pics of them all, but it's a good start.
smile.png

(note: we've just wormed these guys, so try to look past their sagging worm bellies :mad:)

Sorry about the quality of the pics - these shots were taken in the evening as we were finishing up burning their horns.

Rose (Holstein/Jersey X)
Rose924.jpg

Killer (Jersey/Guernsey/Holstein X)
- The purple stuff on his face is Blue-Coat. We spray it on their horns after they've been burnt to keep the flies off of 'em. He happened to rub up against one of our heifers before it dried.
roll.png

Killer924.jpg

Reed - our little stunted Ayrshire steer (and he's the oldest out of the bunch)
Reed924.jpg

Maisy (Holstein)
- we believe she may be a freemartin
he.gif

Maisy924.jpg

Molly (Holstein)
Molly924.jpg

Gem (Holstein/Jersey X)
Gem924.jpg

Chloe (Holstein/Jersey X)
- she's my baby... I'll probably cry when she leaves.
sad.png

Chloe924.jpg

Chloe924b.jpg

Riley (Jersey bull calf)
- our newest little addition... isn't he cuuuute?
Riley924.jpg

Riley924b.jpg

Last edited:
I must say, if I could we would have a barn full of bovines. They are such mooches! Especially when they are handled those first 2 years, we always handled the calves, brushed and scratched them, that way when it became calving time and the milking parlor, they didn't come unglued.
Thanks for sharing the pictures!

*hehe* Yes... my only problem is I get far too attached to them all. Especially those that we bottle-feed! *UGH* It's like torture when someone makes an offer on one & they get taken away. But I do have some kind of solace -- there will always be more.
smile.png

I am pretty sure that chloe is a full blood jersey. If she were a half blood she would be more like your other crosses. Also why do you say that daisy is a free martin? Just out of curiosity.

Well, Chloe is actually 3/4 Jersey... her mother was 1/2 Jersey, 1/2 Holstein & her sire was full Jersey.

And we believe Maisy is a freemartin b/c she's the same age as Molly & Molly has already begun developing a bag while Maisy has not - it's pretty much non-existant.

Quote:
I figured chloe had to be almost a pure bred one and I have to say you are lucky to have her look almost pure bred because even when you cross back with a jersey to a black jersey you still get a black jersey most of the time.

As to the bag thing unless they are bred than do not go by if they have a bag or not to decide if they are a free martin or not. Jerseys which I think molly had some jersey in her tend to make a little bag at times even when they are not bred. Holsteins really do not do that. Really the only way to be sure is to have a vet check her but sometimes you can tell by looking at her or opening and if it looks off or kinda funny compared to the other ones than she could be.
Good luck with her and hope that she is not but sometimes it does happen.

Yeah, we've had quite a few freemartins. Sent a pair of really nice-looking heifers to the auction & they both turned out to be freemartins - but we kinda figured they were - they grew incredibly fast & looked rather steer-like. The only reason we think Maisy is, is that - like I said before - she has no bag at ALL & her teats are pretty much non-existant... her "sister", Molly (our other pure Holstein), of whom is actually a few days younger, already has begun developing a slight bag & has nicely-formed teats. Plus, Maisy has quite a few long hairs right around her "opening" - which is another possible sign of being a freemartin.

Hey, I could be wrong... and I pray I am... but I just have a feeling she is. The only thing that's holding me back is her size. Maisy is actually quite smaller than Molly - she could quite possibly just be stunted... or maybe Molly is a freemartin?! She seems to be growing rather fast. *LOL* I'm not sure... I'm just happy raising our calves. It's great watching them grow & see how much they change as they do.

Thanks for the comments!
smile.png

Last edited:
without looking at her it is hard to tell. I hope that she isn;t and I have to say it is weird that you have all those free martins. We never have hardly any. If I remember correctly there is a blood test that can be performed to check to see if they are a free martin. I know i say it on one of the sites that has stuff for testing sheep and stuff.

Looking at her I do see what you mean by looking more boyish than her sister molly.

Last edited:
Well, my hubby's problem is he goes to all these auctions & buys them - so, more times than not, at an auction, your chances of getting a freemartin are greatly increased. After all, what farmer would send a nice heifer to an auction? Not very many. Those heifers are like gold to them! I keep telling him to go through our farming neighbors... everyone we've gotten that way has turned out to be an incredibly nice heifer and/or steer - and no problems. Men!
roll.png

Quote:
I have to say most of the heifers that you are probably going to see are those that are from a twin birth and if they are born with a bull than they are most likely free martins but witht he prices of meat now a days you can still do just as good with them.

Back
Top Bottom